Fixed penalty notice for term time holidays

Mine wasn't a dig at anyone. I genuinely don't understand how it's possible!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Maybe take one week outside the holidays and one week in the holidays. Anything to avoid being totally ripped off!

Maybe take one week outside the holidays and one week in the holidays. Anything to avoid being totally ripped off!

Sorry I've not been clear.

Between my wife and I we get 11 weeks holiday. Our daughter gets 7 weeks off in summer, two at Xmas, two at Easter etc.

We have to have those weeks as our holidays from work so we can look after her.

So if I wanted cheaper holidays which of course I do, not only do I have to take her out of school but I have to skive from work for two weeks. If I used my hols in term time to get a cheaper break I'd not have enough to cover the school holidays.

For that reason I just don't understand how people take holidays in term time What do they do with the school holidays? Where do the kids go? Or is my holiday allowance rubbish?

In my case, my daughter when away with auntie and co. She is a hair dresser so would probably try to take time of when her work allowed. The extended family and friends help out at holiday time when she is working.

The reaon for half of the holiday in term time may have been down to price, not sure.

Nothing to do with my work, because I get 90% of the school holidays off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosey

In my case, my daughter when away with auntie and co. She is a hair dresser so would probably try to take time of when her work allowed. The extended family and friends help out at holiday time when she is working.

The reaon for half of the holiday in term time may have been down to price, not sure.

Nothing to do with my work, because I get 90% of the school holidays off.

I've not got close family sadly so we're stuck with holidays in school holidays. Ridiculous increases and should be legislated against.

Ridiculous increases and should be legislated against.

We live in a free country, the Tories like the freedom to make profits, but not to educate your child as the parents wish.

I've not got close family sadly so we're stuck with holidays in school holidays. Ridiculous increases and should be legislated against.

So the government should dictate to travel companies, airlines, companies operating in other countries and so on, what they're allowed to charge? :roll:

---------- Post added 13-06-2014 at 20:58 ----------

Question. How do people take their kids on holiday in term time? How do they have the holiday from work?

I get 6 weeks a year and my wife 5.

With that we have to cover 7 weeks off in summer, 2 at Christmas, two at Easter etc.

We simply couldn't take two weeks off in term time as we'd be stuck in the holidays then. I don't understand how it's possible unless I'm getting rubbish holidays from work?

They get someone to help during the holidays, grand parents for example.

Or they have shift work which allows for some flexibility... Or they take unpaid leave (I guess this one is uncommon).

Or as the kids get older (teens I suppose) they go to work and tell them not to burn the house down whilst they are gone.

So the government should dictate to travel companies, airlines, companies operating in other countries and so on, what they're allowed to charge?

It's a very difficult situation.

Being honest it bothers me not. I wouldn't take my daughter out of school as I pay for her to be educated and increases don't worry me.

That said the effect those increases will inevitably have is that people take their children out of school, affecting their education which I don't personally support. I can understand why people do it.

The argument regarding travel companies controlling foreign costs doesn't always work by the way. Look at the increases in costs at Center Parcs. It's a crazy hike.

Never in my 64 years of life have I known ANY childs education been ruined by taking a two week break in term time.

Another way of taking brass off us, the lower classes is a more logical reason.

Angel1

Never in my 64 years of life have I known ANY childs education been ruined by taking a two week break in term time.

How are you measuring whether it's harmed the education or not?

I guess the only effective way would be a twin study, where 1 twin was taken on holiday and the other was not.

Is that what you did?

I love the rule it means I can have a holiday without screaming kids around. Not having little legs kicking my seat from behind on the plane journey is also nice:hihi:

Edited by lily may

How are you measuring whether it's harmed the education or not?

And the winner would get the best exam results, is there other things that children should learn?

And it comes back to the school and its catching up system. If anyone has time off, for any reason, the school try get get the pupil to reach their targets.