Fixed penalty notice for term time holidays

Not paying the fixed penalty notice would result in being taken to court for an old law "Education Act 1996", not a new one relating to holidays.
Eh? Who said anything about a law relating to holidays? :huh:

Have you looked up Section 444 of the Education Act 1996 as amended (are you aware that 'old law' gets regularly amended with 'new bits of law', making it current law?)

I suggest a focus on sub-section 1A and, in particular, the word 'regularly' therein ;)

I suggest a focus on sub-section 1A and, in particular, the word 'regularly' therein ;)

I am going back to work soon, so can you define 'regularly'. By the way, my daughter has a better attendance record this year, compared to last year, when she didnt have a holiday, so maybe I will be ok because I have made she she attends school more 'regularly'.

I am going back to work soon, so can you define 'regularly'.
I'm sure your definition accords with mine ;)

Adverb[edit]. regularly (comparative more regularly, superlative most regularly). With constant frequency or pattern. normally; ordinarily.

Our daughter has an unblemished attendance record, since the year dot (well, 2007, when she started school age 3). Bits of sanctioned leave during term time here and there (about 7 in all over the years, IIRC,and never more than 4 or 5 days - that includes sick leave). Her grades and mock stat results currently place her comfortably a year ahead in academic terms. I am grateful as much to her teachers for this, as for the additional tuition, time and efforts we have expended as her parents. It's a team job.

Edited by L00b

True enough. Money only really matters if you have none/very little and no chance of acquiring any/more, legitimately. It doesn't buy good health (although it helps) and whether it buys happiness depends on what makes you happy. For most people, how they spend their day comes into this, as it must.

In modern economically developed economies such as ours, there is a strong correlation between educational achievement and career prospects. The exceptions tend to prove the rule, so unless your child is a maverick genius with a costed, workable plan to make him the next Alan Sugar, his best chances of success in life is to trust his teachers and stay at school.

Boring, but true.

That's about the funnest thing you've said. :hihi:

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 14:05 ----------

A

It says that I'm not looking for a chance to claim I'm being insulted...

That obviously means something to you, to me it makes no sense.

Why do you believe different, can you give a link to someone that has been fined for "taking their child on holiday in term time"?

I am not aware of such a case, most just pay the FPN. What is the charge in court, if it gets into a court room?

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 12:35 ----------

All that was changed was "Previously, schools were able to authorise up to 10 days of leave from school. However, the new law states that requests for leave can only be granted in exceptional circumstances, and family holidays do not fall into this category."

The law is the same, in that you must ensure that your child receives an education. Would a right minded person say that a holiday to Spain is not ok when the parents take them, but they are ok when the school takes them?

I thought I'd seen at least one in the news recently;

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-01-15/parents-in-court-over-holiday-during-school-term-time-fine/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-25733272

Stewart and Natasha Sutherland, from Telford, Shropshire, originally refused to pay a £360 fine. It doubled after they failed to pay within 21 days.

They admitted failing to ensure their children attended school regularly...

He told magistrates he decided to take a family holiday because of problems with his eldest daughter, whose behaviour and school attendance had deteriorated.

This case at least is regarding a child who already had poor attendance.

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 14:24 ----------

That obviously means something to you, to me it makes no sense.

Well, at the risk of insulting you, it seemed pretty obvious that I was suggesting that unlike you, I am not looking for a chance to claim that I am being insulted.

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 14:27 ----------

I found the guidance (to parents) from Lancashire County Council which says this;

 excessive unauthorised holidays in term time...

In every case a pupil must have had a minimum of six school days lost to unauthorised absence during the current term before a Penalty Notice is considered

So the example I keep using of 1 week of absence at the end of term would not attract a penalty notice under these guidelines.

Well, at the risk of insulting you, it seemed pretty obvious that I was suggesting that unlike you, I am not looking for a chance to claim that I am being insulted.

Definitely a calumny of the grossest and most widespread, pernicious kind. I felt insulted (vicariously, as it were) even though it wasn't even addressed to me. Prepare for your slander trial and the subsequent public whipping:)

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 15:33 ----------

I am going back to work soon, so can you define 'regularly'. By the way, my daughter has a better attendance record this year, compared to last year, when she didnt have a holiday, so maybe I will be ok because I have made she she attends school more 'regularly'.

I am sure you will be OK, and in any case, the authorities will take into account the fact that she was not in your care when her attendance was poor and that it has significantly improved since. When a pupil has had a lot of absence the idea of going back, trying to fit back into friendship groups and all that catching up, can seem impossible. You deserve every credit for helping her overcome that hurdle.

Edited by aliceBB

Nor am I, but the sad realty is that some members can't resist throwing the insults about when their opinions are challenged or when they fail to convince others to change their stance.

Nor am I, but the sad realty is that some members can't resist throwing the insults about when their opinions are challenged or when they fail to convince others to change their stance.

...or when the poster they are attempting to debate with turns out to be deserving of said insults. You seem to attract a lot of these in your various incarnations so, do you completely win every argument you take part in or are you just a bit of a tosser?

...or when the poster they are attempting to debate with turns out to be deserving of said insults. You seem to attract a lot of these in your various incarnations so, do you completely win every argument you take part in or are you just a bit of a tosser?

Why am I not surprised that you have come along to add your two penneth, there is a very small group of very rude members that can't resist throwing the insults around.