Fixed penalty notice for term time holidays

Your posts seem to be consistently assuming that most parents needed to have this responsibility placed on them by the State/education system. Is that your opinion?

If anyone contests the fixed penalty, then they would be charged with failing to educate their child.

Is this what taking a week off amounts to? There are many parents that already fail, on numerous days, to educate their child; but that is just forgotten about.

Should schools be fined for sending kids home with the "wrong" shoes then?

Ha! I was going to start another thread about uniform generally. Perhaps I will.

I would however say that in my experience it is generally the parents who fail to ensure good attendance, who take their kids to Spain in termtime against the school's advice and who generally have a low opinion of the school (which is then transmitted to their offspring) who find the child being penalised for coming to school in trainers (expensive ones, often) rather than the correct shoes.

I cannot imagine it would be a first offence penalty, in any case. It's usually a last resort in the case of the the painful ones whose parents refuse to buy proper school shoes because the kids 'won't wear them'.

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 12:25 ----------

If anyone contests the fixed penalty, then they would be charged with failing to educate their child.

Is this what taking a week off amounts to? There are many parents that already fail, on numerous days, to educate their child; but that is just forgotten about.

How do they 'fail, on numerous days'? What do you mean, exactly?

Edited by aliceBB

coming to school in trainers (expensive ones, often) rather than the correct shoes.

I cannot imagine it would be a first offence penalty, in any case. It's usually a last resort in the case of the the painful ones whose parents refuse to buy proper school shoes because the kids 'won't wear them'.

How do they 'fail, on numerous days'? What do you mean, exactly?

They might wear the wrong hoes and be sent home or not be able to get out of bed or just problems at home. I know some children with really poor attendance, not just the odd day. My daughter wa the same, before she lived with me.

I believe that is correct; do you believe something different?
What do you mean by 'correct'? I asked whether your statement had a legal basis, or was your opinion.

If, by 'correct', you mean that this is law/rule, then please confirm (and I'd love a link, please :)).

If, by 'correct', you mean this is your opinion, then fair enough, but yes, I believe different. And the rest of your post would not make much sense to me I'm afraid.

What do you mean by 'correct'? I asked whether your statement had a legal basis, or was your opinion.

If, by 'correct', you mean that this is law/rule, then please confirm (and I'd love a link, please :)).

If, by 'correct', you mean this is your opinion, then fair enough, but yes, I believe different. And the rest of your post would not make much sense to me I'm afraid.

Why do you believe different, can you give a link to someone that has been fined for "taking their child on holiday in term time"?

I am not aware of such a case, most just pay the FPN. What is the charge in court, if it gets into a court room?

---------- Post added 28-01-2014 at 12:35 ----------

All that was changed was "Previously, schools were able to authorise up to 10 days of leave from school. However, the new law states that requests for leave can only be granted in exceptional circumstances, and family holidays do not fall into this category."

The law is the same, in that you must ensure that your child receives an education. Would a right minded person say that a holiday to Spain is not ok when the parents take them, but they are ok when the school takes them?

They might wear the wrong hoes and be sent home or not be able to get out of bed or just problems at home. I know some children with really poor attendance, not just the odd day. My daughter wa the same, before she lived with me.

In those cases the Educational Welfare Officer generally starts taking a keen interest in the family.

Schools have a duty to ring up the parent of any child (even sixth formers) who do not turn up to school and who haven't notified the school that they are ill. Not sure if it is statutory, but they do it.

Once attendance dips below over one term, contact is made with home and if the absences continue, EWO is involved.

Why do you believe different, can you give a link to someone that has been fined for "taking their child on holiday in term time"?

I am not aware of such a case, most just pay the FPN. What is the charge in court, if it gets into a court room?

The relevant prosecution is for the offence of "failing to secure attendance at school".

Nothing to do with "failing to educate their child".

Link (see 3.Legal practicalities).