Door to Door selling?

There's a guy who comes round our way a couple of times a year, selling beds door to door. Sounds like a traveller and has a couple of younger lads with him. Seems a strange thing to do and I was a bit suspicious of him first time he came round, but it seems legit. I'm not about to buy a bed from the back of a white van though, especially with my back!

Happened to a friends mum just before Christmas. He said he was just out of pokey and thought it was down to my friends mum to help him stay straight by purchasing overpriced kitchen cleaning products.

I think he needs to fine tune his opening speech.

It should be banned to stop people being conned. We have a sign on the door against these type of people but they still knock.

Stupid people will always be conned. Stopping us normals getting a few dish cloths cheap at the door is a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Perhaps stupid people should be banned instead?

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 12:41 ----------

You didn't see the thread on here last week where a persons elderly relative was flogged £150 of crap fish then? I'm all for the entrepreneurial spirit but too many of these door knockers involve lying or praying on old people.

Sorry but if someone is mentally frail enough to think they need £150 of fish in one go then they shouldnt really be on their own.

Edited by Claire_

I bought some oven gloves at the door off a guy in Heeley a few yrs ago. I had a joke with him about whether they were any good or not and the first time I used them they actually melted_ Never again my friends.

Stupid people will always be conned. Stopping us normals getting a few dish cloths cheap at the door is a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Perhaps stupid people should be banned instead?

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 12:41 ----------

Sorry but if someone is mentally frail enough to think they need £150 of fish in one go then they shouldnt really be on their own.

Vulnerability does not equate to stupidity.

Remember back in the 80's, living in Hackenthorpe, had middle aged Indian chap (dressed smart, looking like a doctor) with a suitcase, knock on the door selling dusters/cloths etc...my mother bought a packet of dusters i think, ha! thought good on him...wonder where he is now????

Its difficult to trust people these days, even more so those coming to your door.some are genuine, but others are deceiving and trying to get inside to take advantage.I do feel sorry for those people trying to make an honest buck tho !

Some bloke knocked on our door selling window stickers that said "Sorry, No door-to-door Sales".

Talk about doing yersen out of a job.

In S11 we have had 3 so-called ex offenders supposedly from Middlesbrough door knocking in the last 3 weeks. The first 2 were polite but today's visitor was a big lad and quite intimidating. I have no idea whether the ex-offender story is true or not although web searches would indicate there is no such government incentive to encourage them to sell their overpriced dusters etc.

It should be banned to stop people being conned. We have a sign on the door against these type of people but they still knock.

I have a sign like this. when they persist in knocking I say to them " I do not deal with people at my door who are illiterate" it is a good laugh when they try to work out what I mean!!