Blades V Notts County Friday 2nd August

Who's said it shouldn't have been a booking?

UKDobby seems to think it was harsh (posts 38, 96, 115) but on the whole, especially if anyone looks at the link in Longys post, it was a definite red, a few inches higher and it would have been in his face.

UKDobby seems to think it was harsh (posts 38, 96, 115) but on the whole, especially if anyone looks at the link in Longys post, it was a definite red, a few inches higher and it would have been in his face.

The sending off was harsh see post 38,said a booking would have been sufficient but hey that's my opinion,trouble is I played against players like Chopper Harris but if people have their opinion I won't slag em off as being deluded..

Edited by ukdobby

Here it is Definite Red

He went in both feet off the floor 1 foot high MY OPINION if McDonald had not jumped then it would have caught it on the shoulder maybe even the neck or face

Would the posters saying it wasn't a red have said if McD had ended up in Hospital or would it have been a dive

Link as Longy posted post 116

Edited by Paul Blade

Perhaps so if you are a diehard supporter. I'm not but I now live 15 minutes walk away from the ground and am looking for a club to watch. If it takes me half an hour to get a ticket to get into the ground or I have to call in days before the game then I'm unlikely to go (anyway I only decided to go 45 mins before ko). So it is SUFC's problem if they lose potential new supporters through slowness in the ticket office. There were also plenty of frustrated regulars around me in the queue who said they usually got a ticket in a few minutes and the wait for pre-paid tickets seemed to be equally as long. So I think SUFC do have a problem.

Anyway, nice to start with a win but shame I missed it.

You are right SUFC do have a problem, the same thing happened last week at the Atromitos game, fortunately I had a ticket in advance as it's a problem I expect of them. It's also not acceptable to have no public address system in the John Street stand for the first match of the season. No video screen working either.

Yes he does and for what it's worth I think a red card was a little bit harsh myself as he did get the ball. But the question was 'who's said it shouldn't have been a booking?'

Difference between all 3 was the County player played the ball,you're never putting it with the Zadine world cup challenge are you?

He's got the man,high up on his body with his studs,exactly the same as the other 2................it's a red card.

"Challenges that endanger the safety of an opponent are unacceptable and you have the courage, quite correctly, to go to the straight red," Hackett told his officials at a pre-season meeting. "The player has to have control over the speed and intensity of the challenge. It is your duty to see, think and act. You cannot buck the responsibility."

Edited by chalga

Here it is Definite Red

He went in both feet off the floor 1 foot high MY OPINION if McDonald had not jumped then it would have caught it on the shoulder maybe even the neck or face

Would the posters saying it wasn't a red have said if McD had ended up in Hospital or would it have been a dive

Link as Longy posted post 116

You are right we don't want players ending up in hospital especialy with head injuries some one could be killed.

Have to say at the time last night, at the ground in John Street (and from behind the foul), we were surprised he gave a red card, it seemed harsh from there - but when you see it as covered on tv, then I guess the ref felt he didn't have much choice (pretty much like Flynn got sent off for us for a equally stupid high-flying lunge last season).

We felt that their goal should've been a foul on Maguire, but some you get, some you don't... and again, the yellow card for Brandy seemed very harsh, but haven't seen those two incidents back yet on tv so can't say for sure.

Overall though an encouraging start - regardless of the goals or result, it was the positive attacking intent that was a pleasure to see... reminiscent of when Wilson arrived, and how we played for the early part of that season. The injection of pace and trickery from Brandy was very welcome, and overall the team looked so much more confident in possession, and showed patience in trying to break down a dogged and determined County side.

For all the changes, only two of the starters were new this summer (Brandy, McGinn), so Weir and his staff have done some good work in turning last season's flops into a more positive side - on first impressions. The substitutions offered more optimism, with the skilful Coady and lively Taylor on - had Taylor had either of those chances that Porter fluffed, I think we could've run out with a much easier victory... and McFadzean was lively on his return too.

Biggest plusses though were Murphy looking like he could be a key player, McDonald adjusting well to his new role, and an assured performance from McGinn. Some concerns still with the lack of pace at the back (and how easily they cut through us on a few occasions), but Long looked good when called on.

Great to see such a high turn out on a Friday night, in League one and live on Sky, especially when it bettered some of the big Championship gates today :)

Yes he does and for what it's worth I think a red card was a little bit harsh myself as he did get the ball. But the question was 'who's said it shouldn't have been a booking?'

Sorry Jim,meant to put "anyone that thinks its not a red!

So which option are you then? A,B,C or perhaps D?

Go and argue it with the rule book.

Hard to say how well you lot played against 10 men,Brentford will be a good test.

Thought the ref also gave you a lot last night,Fatty McGuire surely handballed just before you got the free kick.

Still thought the sending off was harsh and spoilt what could have been a more even game.

You thought that sending off was harsh? What sport do you normally watch?

Edited by charlie_boy

Football,its a contact sport.

---------- Post added 04-08-2013 at 10:41 ----------

He's got the man,high up on his body with his studs,exactly the same as the other 2................it's a red card.

"Challenges that endanger the safety of an opponent are unacceptable and you have the courage, quite correctly, to go to the straight red," Hackett told his officials at a pre-season meeting. "The player has to have control over the speed and intensity of the challenge. It is your duty to see, think and act. You cannot buck the responsibility."

Barton should have gone then as should many others,if this is the case we will finish up with 5 on each side.

if this is the case we will finish up with 5 on each side.

No we won't............and we haven't.