Further 10% cut to local authorities

the council, when justifying the excessive salaries of executives, claim 'you have to offer the best pay package to attract the best staff'. that's also true in the private sector, across all pay scales, except maybe the bottom one.

so maybe you're getting paid less than your private sector counterparts because you're not as good at the job as they are?

it would explain some of the council's incompetencies...

So to try to return to the topic how do you see the services offered by Sheffield City Council looking in 2016

My predictions are:-

Your grass verges won't get cut unless you do it yourself

The parks won't have the grass cut, unless groups are formed such as 'friends of X park' and they work with the council to use equipment and a capable person in the community maintains the local parks.

Local leisure centres will be closed unless they can be maintained via community funding ( admission, membership fees etc). The only places to survive will be ponds forge or places which get sport England funding such as Woodbourn rd.

Cuts to children's centres

More demand but less resource in adult social care, in reality meaning waiting longer if care is needed.

Easy for George to say we need to make these cuts but he isn't going to see the people affected at ground level. The grass being shin length in the parks isn't going to kill anyone but the lack of resources in social care will have significant affect on people's lives.

We need another way to cut to protect the vulnerable in Sheffield and the other cities in the UK.

In his rush to discredit the article after seeing the letters TUC I don't think Shao bothere to read the figures were from the ONS!

Looking at his other posts, I guess that the link was a few paragraphs too long for him.

You can guarantee Sheffield and other councils Parking Services will not be facing any cuts.

the council, when justifying the excessive salaries of executives, claim 'you have to offer the best pay package to attract the best staff'. that's also true in the private sector, across all pay scales, except maybe the bottom one.

so maybe you're getting paid less than your private sector counterparts because you're not as good at the job as they are?

it would explain some of the council's incompetencies...

Maybe you get what you pay for.

Perhaps we should increase public spending. What do you say? Are you happy to pay second rate wages for second rate staff? Should we aim higher?

---------- Post added 27-06-2013 at 23:47 ----------

You can guarantee Sheffield and other councils Parking Services will not be facing any cuts.

You can also guarantee that the late night trolls will arrive and try to push a thread off course.

Perhaps we should increase public spending. What do you say? Are you happy to pay second rate wages for second rate staff? Should we aim higher?

---------- Post added 27-06-2013 at 23:47 ----------

You can also guarantee that the late night trolls will arrive and try to push a thread off course.

So PS isn't a major part of our councils public spending?

So PS isn't a major part of our councils public spending?

:D No. .........................

we don't have much choice, so we're stuck with what we got.

There would be no need to cut parking services as it makes a profit which then goes into the pot, so as long as people are parking illegally it's a good thing

if people want things so much then

Privitise libraries

Privitise museums

reduce the parking wardens as they always seem to go around in twos for company.

city centre ambassadors, waste of time and money

i am sure i you look on the council web site there will highly paid positions for various "outreach " workers from prostitution drugs , somalian refugees etc etc.

various council backed festivals, shefftival, winterval, etc etc

remove free taxis for school kids they can get the bus like most kids or walk.

cut the salaries of the great and the good in the council chambers, how many of the council are on over 100k ?? a year i am sure without seeing the whole spending budget a load more could be cut!

Some of what you say i agree with but some of it is utter tripe ie i highlight in bold in your post,

kids transport provided by sheffield city council is for those that have learning difficulties, mostly those that have to use aids such as wheelchairs and walking frames, of which one of my children fits into this category and will not go into detail as this should not be needed,

but what you are implying is these children should rely on public transport which may i say do not have the facilities to hold any more than one wheelchair at a time, so please amuse me and explain how this could be worked around when there are so many children in sheffield that have learning difficulties and are walking impaired.

Please do i need a laugh.

Great business strategy there, getting rid of a sector that brings money into the business. Good call.

Some of what you say i agree with but some of it is utter tripe ie i highlight in bold in your post,

kids transport provided by sheffield city council is for those that have learning difficulties, mostly those that have to use aids such as wheelchairs and walking frames, of which one of my children fits into this category and will not go into detail as this should not be needed,

but what you are implying is these children should rely on public transport which may i say do not have the facilities to hold any more than one wheelchair at a time, so please amuse me and explain how this could be worked around when there are so many children in sheffield that have learning difficulties and are walking impaired.

Please do i need a laugh.

i absolutely do NOT mean disabled or those that need help but there are many that are brought in to school areas from outside the catchment to balance shall we say "the Mix"