Further 10% cut to local authorities

The easiest solution would be to cut pay by approximately 10%, at least that way jobs and services would be preserved, although I somehow couldn't see the unions going for it.

Given the option of a 10% pay cut or 10% staff cuts, meaning I could potentially be out of a job....I'd choose the pay cut every time.

Regards

Doom

The easiest solution would be to cut pay by approximately 10%, at least that way jobs and services would be preserved, although I somehow couldn't see the unions going for it.

Given the option of a 10% pay cut or 10% staff cuts, meaning I could potentially be out of a job....I'd choose the pay cut every time.

Regards

Doom

yeah that would work not a better soloution is stop the people getting 100 grand or more on wages and stop payin the consultant fees that are over the top and infact get a decent council .

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 08:58 ----------

So to try to return to the topic how do you see the services offered by Sheffield City Council looking in 2016

My predictions are:-

Your grass verges won't get cut unless you do it yourself

The parks won't have the grass cut, unless groups are formed such as 'friends of X park' and they work with the council to use equipment and a capable person in the community maintains the local parks.

Local leisure centres will be closed unless they can be maintained via community funding ( admission, membership fees etc). The only places to survive will be ponds forge or places which get sport England funding such as Woodbourn rd.

Cuts to children's centres

More demand but less resource in adult social care, in reality meaning waiting longer if care is needed.

Easy for George to say we need to make these cuts but he isn't going to see the people affected at ground level. The grass being shin length in the parks isn't going to kill anyone but the lack of resources in social care will have significant affect on people's lives.

We need another way to cut to protect the vulnerable in Sheffield and the other cities in the UK.

so if so what are we paying the council tax for ?

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 08:59 ----------

but surely i hate to say it when labour get back in charge they would alter things oh silly me they wont will they

yeah that would work not a better soloution is stop the people getting 100 grand or more on wages and stop payin the consultant fees that are over the top and infact get a decent council .

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 08:58 ----------

so if so what are we paying the council tax for ?

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 08:59 ----------

but surely i hate to say it when labour get back in charge they would alter things oh silly me they wont will they

'When' being the operative word can't see them getting in power again for a generation,just my view.

Whilst I've no doubt some consultants do get paid ridiculous fees, the company I work for have done Council work in the past (Barnsley, not Sheffield) and I believe we currently charge something like £30/hour, which I would suggest is very reasonable and probably works out cheaper than keeping it in house for the Council.

The reason our cost/hour is so low is because we've all taken 30% pay cuts to keep our jobs and keep the business going, which is why I have no issue with making the suggestion above about the council workers also taking pay cuts.

The world has changed and people need to downgade their expectations/aspirations......We've been living beyond our means for too long,

Regards

Doom

.. I believe we currently charge something like £30/hour, which I would suggest is very reasonable ..

The reason our cost/hour is so low is because we've all taken 30% pay cuts to keep our jobs and keep the business going ..

I think the difference from £39K to £30K at 30% and a drop of 10% from £18K to £16 is pretty significant to standard of living. Are you really a consultant?

I think the difference from £39K to £30K at 30% and a drop of 10% from £18K to £16 is pretty significant to standard of living. Are you really a consultant?

£39k.....I wish!! :hihi:

I think Quantity Surveyors would be considered to be consultants.

Regards

Doom

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-consultants-paid-411k-in-month-1-4606031

has £1m been saved in management costs since june lat year, as predicted?

In total, the council spent £4.7 million on consultants over the 12 months to the end of November.(2012)

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/scandal-of-sheffield-council-s-consultancy-fees-1-5318282

i'm sure there are more recent examples, something, something, nine hundred thousand pounds...

Whilst I've no doubt some consultants do get paid ridiculous fees, the company I work for have done Council work in the past (Barnsley, not Sheffield) and I believe we currently charge something like £30/hour, which I would suggest is very reasonable and probably works out cheaper than keeping it in house for the Council.

The reason our cost/hour is so low is because we've all taken 30% pay cuts to keep our jobs and keep the business going, which is why I have no issue with making the suggestion above about the council workers also taking pay cuts.

The world has changed and people need to downgade their expectations/aspirations......We've been living beyond our means for too long,

Regards

Doom

I wouldn't have a problem with being in the same position as the private sector in the hard times, if we had the same deal in the good times.

My private sector equivalents can:

• negotiate their own salary
  • get bonuses when they or the company are doing well
  • get other rewards, like share options

The problem I see is that people are expecting public sector workers to have the worst of all worlds.

I wouldn't have a problem with being in the same position as the private sector in the hard times, if we had the same deal in the good times.

My private sector equivalents can:

• negotiate their own salary
  • get bonuses when they or the company are doing well
  • get other rewards, like share options

The problem I see is that people are expecting public sector workers to have the worst of all worlds.

From my experience within my profession, my equivalents in the public sector have always earned the same or more than me in both good and bad times, although they've also had the benefit of a good pension scheme as well.

Maybe that's my own fault for not jumping jobs every six months during the better times to earn more, but I've always tended to stay in one place if I'm happy in my work (money isn't everything in life).

Regards

Doom

Doom, your saying that council workers should get a 10% wage cut, however I've not had a wage increment for the last 4 years which is set to continue over the forseable future. I've lost out on around 1500 quid which almost equates to 10% of my wage. We've not even had the cost of living for several years.

People think working for the council is a breeze, possibly higher management but us mere minions at the bottom its not. I've had the threat of losing my job for 18 months after being told out department isn't underthreat. I was lucky enough to apply for another job within the council before I got the chop. Even then the position I'm now in could be sent down the river soon.

I worked in the private sector and wish I stayed there if I'm honest.