Further 10% cut to local authorities

People in my position in the private sector earn roughly 5k more than me, yes, I will gladly trade that for my 'all singing, all dancing' pension!

£4k difference for the Job that I do in the public sector to what the equivalent post in the private sector is paid.

I don't trust pensions private or government under written.

Someones always trying to change the terms and conditions

There's no garauntee that you're going to be in the public sector with the same pension for 40 years.

There's always some idoit that will loose your money speculating on the stock market

If there's another resession, there's no garauntee that that a future government will be able to bail any ones private/public sector pension out.

You're better off paying extra on the mortgage whilst interest rates are still low.

Research shows that increasing numbers of workers in both the public and private sectors are doing overtime for free. In 2011 one in five employees worked unpaid overtime.

The research also showed that there was only a slight division between public and private sector with one in four doing regular overtime in the public sector, and one in six dong regular overtime in the private sector.

When people on here label public sector workers as lazy and idle, perhaps they should also take also take those facts into consideration as well.

Research shows that increasing numbers of workers in both the public and private sectors are doing overtime for free. In 2011 one in five employees worked unpaid overtime.

The research also showed that there was only a slight division between public and private sector with one in four doing regular overtime in the public sector, and one in six dong regular overtime in the private sector.

When people on here label public sector workers as lazy and idle, perhaps they should also take also take those facts into consideration as well.

do you have a source?

Edited by shao

the council, when justifying the excessive salaries of executives, claim 'you have to offer the best pay package to attract the best staff'. that's also true in the private sector, across all pay scales, except maybe the bottom one.

so maybe you're getting paid less than your private sector counterparts because you're not as good at the job as they are?

it would explain some of the council's incompetencies...

So to try to return to the topic how do you see the services offered by Sheffield City Council looking in 2016

My predictions are:-

Your grass verges won't get cut unless you do it yourself

The parks won't have the grass cut, unless groups are formed such as 'friends of X park' and they work with the council to use equipment and a capable person in the community maintains the local parks.

Local leisure centres will be closed unless they can be maintained via community funding ( admission, membership fees etc). The only places to survive will be ponds forge or places which get sport England funding such as Woodbourn rd.

Cuts to children's centres

More demand but less resource in adult social care, in reality meaning waiting longer if care is needed.

Easy for George to say we need to make these cuts but he isn't going to see the people affected at ground level. The grass being shin length in the parks isn't going to kill anyone but the lack of resources in social care will have significant affect on people's lives.

We need another way to cut to protect the vulnerable in Sheffield and the other cities in the UK.