E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

Whilst I'd personally rather inhale PEG than multiple other hydrocarbons, it's safety, as far as I know is not proven and I would have thought almost certainly a medical device. Nor have the effects of long term nicotine use in the absence of smoke been evaluated so e-cigs could be just as harmful as normal ones.

Unlikely.

Without risk? No. But PEG has been exhaustively evaluated in almost every other context other than e-cigs, and found to be mostly benign.

The greatest risks are to respiratory function, especially with chronic use. Inhaling anything other than air is obviously sub-optimal, but the choice of PEG as a carrier medium and the fact that no burning is involved reduces the aggregate risk of adverse affects (compared to tobacco cigarettes) by orders of magnitude.

And, as far as I can see, PEG is a Carbohydrate.

Edited by Phanerothyme

Hospitals havn't properly banned real cigarettes yet, obviously you can't light up inside but there's always a gaggle of people hanging around just outside doorways smoking like chimneys.

It's the ones outside the cancer wards that get me.

Sat in a wheelchair and with the chemo drip in their arm and they still want to have a fag :loopy:

Sat in a wheelchair and with the chemo drip in their arm and they still want to have a fag :loopy:

That's because they are seriously ill/dying, deeply stressed and also happen to be nicotine addicts. For most people, when seriously ill/terminal, giving up smoking is unlikely to be a priority, as smoking is probably one of the few things they derive some form of comfort from.

Sheffield hospital are joining the ranks of hospitals that are to ban or have banned E-cigarettes. It is in response to the unproven safety and lack of regulation.

If by banning them, you mean people can't smoke them inside the hospital.....fair enough!

If you mean, they are banning the use of them on the grounds, good luck to them. Every hospital I've been to seems to be ignoring this ban. Especially for pregnant mothers, outside the maternity ward!

Hospitals havn't properly banned real cigarettes yet, obviously you can't light up inside but there's always a gaggle of people hanging around just outside doorways smoking like chimneys.

Sat in a wheelchair and with the chemo drip in their arm and they still want to have a fag

My Grandad - no palette, no voicebox, hole in his throat, fed via a tube directly into his stomach from a machine. Couldn't eat or drink, had to sip water and then spit it straight back out to wet his lips.

Did he stop smoking? NO.

When asked why... It was the only thing left he could do that he enjoyed, and it was way too late to stop now.

It was a sight seeing him puffing away with the smoke coming out of his throat though, but he was right in his reasons for not giving up I thought!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It'd take some serious vapour to set off smoke alarms to the point that the theory of banning on those grounds is more of an excuse than a valid reason. Smoke alarms that measure the particles per unit of air could also be triggered by dust, steam or anything else carried in the air too.

Propylene glycol has been extensively tested and is safe, nicotine is a stimulant that is only harmful in concentrations not found in ecigs and is the addictive part of smoking not the killer; and banning on the grounds of the unknown effects of flavourings would also create a case to ban processed foods and drinks too.

It seems sad to me that some people want to stop something that prevents many folks from smoking tobacco that is known to kill on such wishy washy grounds, you'd expect more from a medical organisation than to cave in to mindless prejudice.