E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

e-cigs have achieved, in less than 5 years, what public policy and medical NRT have failed to achieve in 30.

Here's Viscount Ridley (a non-smoker and non-vaper) in the HoL last year -

2 interesting points he makes.

If nicotine is to be regulated, then will that include Aubergines?

The BMA is now taking the side of the tobacco companies with its pronouncements on e-cigs.

A very good speech. I totally agree on all points. Ecigs should be allowed to be advertised as a glamorous product

The problem is that the whole industry is unregulated, no one knows whats in e cigs.

Whilst in there natural state the chemicals contained maybe harmless but once heated to produce a vapour could change into something harmful.

Nicotine is addictive and you don't know how much of a hit you take with e cigs.

My thoughts are that most people use these more than they would actually smoke a fag and be more addicted.

I heard a quote by a doctor on radio 4 some time ago, she said

"it took us 300 years to find out tobacco was harmful, do we need to wait another 300 years with e cigs"

If you wanted to get the same nicotine hit as 1 cig you would have to eat around 20lbs of Aubergines.

The BMA is cautious on their use.

What the Scots say http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2014/march/doctors-seek-e-cigarette-ban-in-public-places

What the BMA said in December http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2013/december/new-safeguards-for-e-cigarettes-backed-by-bma

a bit more http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2013/january/ecigarettes-not-proven-quitting-aid-says-bma

BTW I'm an ex smoker.

Just my 2p worth.

The problem is that the whole industry is unregulated, no one knows whats in e cigs.

Whilst in there natural state the chemicals contained maybe harmless but once heated to produce a vapour could change into something harmful.

Nicotine is addictive and you don't know how much of a hit you take with e cigs.

My thoughts are that most people use these more than they would actually smoke a fag and be more addicted.

I heard a quote by a doctor on radio 4 some time ago, she said

"it took us 300 years to find out tobacco was harmful, do we need to wait another 300 years with e cigs"

If you wanted to get the same nicotine hit as 1 cig you would have to eat around 20lbs of Aubergines.

The BMA is cautious on their use.

What the Scots say http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2014/march/doctors-seek-e-cigarette-ban-in-public-places

What the BMA said in December http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2013/december/new-safeguards-for-e-cigarettes-backed-by-bma

a bit more http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2013/january/ecigarettes-not-proven-quitting-aid-says-bma

BTW I'm an ex smoker.

Just my 2p worth.

10 grams of Aubergines gives you the same amount of nicotine as sitting in a room with a smoker for 3 hours! (watch the video from Phanerothyme's post #672).

I'm surprised a Dr would quote something so stupid as "it took us 300 years to find out that tobacco was bad for our health", because that's not true!

There are many more harmful substances that are bottled and sold with no regulation.

The fact is, that ecigs are a hell of a lot better for you than real cigarettes and they are working! People are stopping smoking. What's the problem?!

10 grams of Aubergines gives you the same amount of nicotine as sitting in a room with a smoker for 3 hours! (watch the video from Phanerothyme's post #672).

I'm surprised a Dr would quote something so stupid as "it took us 300 years to find out that tobacco was bad for our health", because that's not true!

There are many more harmful substances that are bottled and sold with no regulation.

The fact is, that ecigs are a hell of a lot better for you than real cigarettes and they are working! People are stopping smoking. What's the problem?!

Is that really a fact though? It may stop people smoking, it doesn't mean its better for you, its just an alternative.

]Is that really a fact though[/b]? It may stop people smoking' date=' it doesn't mean its better for you, its just an alternative.[/quote']

Yes,you think about the additives in cigarettes compared to the e.cigs,its much more than a alternative

Is that really a fact though? It may stop people smoking, it doesn't mean its better for you, its just an alternative.

Yes it is an alternative but it has to be better as there are no carcinogens in them to start with, if I still smoked I would plump for one. There is no medical evidence that smoking e-cigs makes you smoke real tobacco so the Taffy's are starting a panic there.

People do nothing but moan about smokers, what do they do Introduce e-cigs, so the gits still moan.

Been on BBC news today about how polluted our cities are becoming again, and we've had the Sahara sand come over which happens 2-3 times a year.

The main reason given for the pollution by an EXPERT was the emissions from cars and lorries and the like, no mention of cigarettes.

So before you all jump in your cars and decide to pollute our atmosphere walk, as a smoker does nowhere near the damage you clowns do.

They are better for you. I'm not saying that they are good for you, but they are better. Around 1,000 times better for you than real cigarettes.

E-cigarette shops are popping up all over Sheffield now, I see more and more people using them when I'm out and about. I myself have converted to one since last November after smoking for 15 years.

So how many of us on here are vaping now and have packed it in with the stinkies?

Are people using the e-cig pens or have you upgraded to something a little bigger?

Any recommendations on flavours?

Let's hear it! :)

I have been vaping for 18 days (early days I know) but I have smoked 20 a day for nearly 50 yrs.I use the blueberry.

They are better for you. I'm not saying that they are good for you, but they are better. Around 1,000 times better for you than real cigarettes.

I'm finding just the opposite, after 5 days. I feel terrible. :(

Symptoms are a very aggressive unproductive cough. I'd expect a cough, to clear my lungs, but this is a dry one that's so rough i've had visual disturbances.

I'm using a Cybercig, with mirage Virginia. No other withdrawal symptoms to speak of, just this awful cough. :help:

Id say it might be the liquid you are using, two main components, one produces the smoke (vegetable glycerine) and the other gives you the throat hit (propylene glycol)

Might be too much of the latter in your mix.

Pure utter common sense and to be applauded.

I'm very dubious that any notice -regarding any matter- is given to anything any tobacco company says.

the pharmaceutical companies recommendations also need to be ignored.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 01:41 ----------

I'm finding just the opposite, after 5 days. I feel terrible. :(

Symptoms are a very aggressive unproductive cough. I'd expect a cough, to clear my lungs, but this is a dry one that's so rough i've had visual disturbances.

I'm using a Cybercig, with mirage Virginia. No other withdrawal symptoms to speak of, just this awful cough. :help:

http://www.canadavapes.com/health/propylene-glycol-safety.html

"Side Effects

The most common noted side effect of inhalation of e-liquid containing propylene glycol is a dry mouth, sore throat, and increased thirst. These symptoms usually last just a few days to a week as the body gets used to the propylene glycol. These symptoms can be elevated by drinking more water and liquids then usual for the first few weeks of using your e-cigarette."

Cheers for that, i Googled but didn't find anything relevant.

I've smoked a couple of fags since that post and the cough has really calmed down, which is a good thing as there's no way i could have slept, coughing like that. Back to it tomorrow then.

For the record, i'm really not looking for an excuse to (fail) go back to the leaf, i'm finding the e-cig is hitting the spot nicely, and the taste of this virginia rather more pleasant, very honey like, so hopefully it's just temporary. I had a weird reaction to nicotine patches after a few days that saw me have to give them up, so i've that in the back of my mind.