E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

If anyone is interested in the public health analysis, there was an article in the New York Times yesterday by two professors of public health at Columbia University in New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/opinion/the-case-for-tolerating-e-cigarettes.html

A sample paragraph:

The evidence, while still thin, suggests that many e-cigarette users, hoping to kick the habit, use e-cigarettes as a safer alternative to tobacco. Research also suggests that e-cigarettes may be better at helping to sustain smoking cessation than pharmaceutical products like nicotine patches or gums.

The article makes two important points: it looks like e-cigarettes are helping a lot of smokers move from more harmful to less harmful habits; and the evidence is still early and thin. I would say if you do try e-cigarettes, keep an eye peeled for new evidence. Good luck to everyone trying to quit or reduce!

Edited by Dozer
Clarifying final paragraph

Propylene Glycol is pretty safe for humans tho, as is glycerine.

It's classed in the US as safe and used as an additive in food.

Obviously somewhere in the world there is a person who will have an allergic reaction to it, but for the rest of us a small fog of the stuff breathed out by someone won't do you any harm.

Safe as a food - where you swallow if and your stomach deals with it, and

Safe when in an e-cig - where it is finally atomised and drawn into the lungs,

seem to me to be 2 completely different scenarios. Just because something is deemed to be safe when eaten certainly doesn't mean it will be when inhaled.

I'm not claiming e-cigs are dangerous, just that it would be risky to assume that they must be safe.

You are of course assuming it will collect in the lungs, form some kind of nasty mess and then go on to cause illness.

Other options include:

being absorbed and passing through the body harmlessly

being breathed back out and not staying in the body long at all.

Safe as a food - where you swallow if and your stomach deals with it, and

Safe when in an e-cig - where it is finally atomised and drawn into the lungs,

seem to me to be 2 completely different scenarios. Just because something is deemed to be safe when eaten certainly doesn't mean it will be when inhaled.

I'm not claiming e-cigs are dangerous, just that it would be risky to assume that they must be safe.

Oh I don't know I've 'inhaled' the odd kebab in my time and I'm fine....I think!

You are of course assuming it will collect in the lungs, form some kind of nasty mess and then go on to cause illness.

Other options include:

being absorbed and passing through the body harmlessly

being breathed back out and not staying in the body long at all.

I wasn't assuming anything. I was merely pointing out that just because something is safe in a food doesn't automatically mean that it will still be safe when inhaled.

If anyone is interested in the public health analysis, there was an article in the New York Times yesterday by two professors of public health at Columbia University in New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/opinion/the-case-for-tolerating-e-cigarettes.html

A sample paragraph:

The article makes two important points: it looks like e-cigarettes are helping a lot of smokers move from more harmful to less harmful habits; and the evidence is still early and thin. I would say if you do try e-cigarettes, keep an eye peeled for new evidence. Good luck to everyone trying to quit or reduce!

I don't get this bit: Advocates fear that e-cigarettes will serve as a gateway to deadly cigarettes --- I find it hard to believe that anyone would take up vaping other than as an alternative to smoking.

I don't get this bit: Advocates fear that e-cigarettes will serve as a gateway to deadly cigarettes --- I find it hard to believe that anyone would take up vaping other than as an alternative to smoking.

Someone in my office was curious and bought one and now uses it regularly, but no with the tobacco flavour, and I know a couple of other people who've tried their smoker friends one and liked it.

Someone in my office was curious and bought one and now uses it regularly, but no with the tobacco flavour, and I know a couple of other people who've tried their smoker friends one and liked it.

Oh, I stand corrected then! I guess we will have to ban these evil things after all.... (I'm kidding.)

---------- Post added 12-12-2013 at 17:16 ----------

I'm surprised by that, but is anyone actually trying it and then switching to smoking? (That's what "gateway to deadly cigarettes" would mean.)

Any E-Cig shops open Sundays in hillsborough area?

Any E-Cig shops open Sundays in hillsborough area?

Chapeltown shop open.if that's not too far.:)

Nice one fella it's only ten minutes away max! Which one market place or station rd?

Nice one fella it's only ten minutes away max! Which one market place or station rd?

Station road,think its open 10 till 2.:)