E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

Has any body tried e-cigarettes? Are they any good? Where can you buy them in South Yorkshire or North Midlands? I have recently purchased some e-cigs from the internet and I was not too impressed. However, I recently tried one from a bloke who bought some UK made e-cigs in Chesterfield. They were really good but he can't remember exactly where he bought them! I have called a few shops in Chesterfield:help: but the owners think I'm insane and they have never heard of them. Can anybody help?

My husband has smoked for 48 years then decided to try these. The shop in the Hillsborough Precinct sell the cheapest and sells his own brand of 'nicotine' in various flavours. £19.99 for the full starter kit, then £5 for the refill. Exactly the same as the ones twice the price which our friend bought.

Good Luck Manaylor, it's worth it. No more smelly clothes and furnishings.

(Although my Husband always smoked outside.)

... and so it begins:

http://www.france24.com/en/20130826-electronic-cigarettes-carcinogenic-french-report

Electronic cigarettes are “not as harmless” as manufacturers make them out to be and can “contain potentially carcinogenic elements”, a study by a French consumer magazine revealed on Monday.

E-cigarettes are more dangerous than thought and can cause cancer, the September edition of a French magazine has claimed.

“Electronic cigarettes are far from the harmless gadgets they’re sold as by manufacturers,” wrote monthly magazine “60 Million Consumers” following a study of some 10 reusable and disposable e-cigarette models.

“It’s not a reason to ban them, but to better control them,” said Thomas Laurenceau, chief editor of the magazine, which reports the findings of France’s national consumers' institute (INC).

The INC has relayed its findings to the authorities, Laurenceau told AFP.

Laurenceau also criticised certain models for lacking safety caps because, he noted, the nicotine levels contained in the liquid content of electronic cigarettes could be lethal to children.

The study claims to have employed an innovative method in detecting “a significant quantity of carcinogenic molecules” in the vapour of the cigarettes which, according to Laurenceau, have thus far gone undetected.

“In three models out of ten, the levels of [carcinogenic compound] formaldehyde come close to those of a conventional cigarette,” he said.

The highly toxic molecule acrolein was also detected in the vapours of e-cigarettes, “sometimes at levels even higher than in traditional cigarettes,” Laurenceau said.

One million people use e-cigarettes in France, where smoking has been banned in public places since 2007.

In May 2013, French Health Minister Marisol Touraine announced that the ban on smoking in public places would now be extended to cover electronic cigarettes.

Some 73,000 people die from smoking-related illnesses in France each year.

Unlike other European countries, the number of smokers has remained constant in the country despite price hikes on tobacco products and health-awareness campaigns.

Me and the missus have been vaping for four days now. I was a 40 a day man, and the wife managed up to twenty a day. Since using these vapour e-cigs, our habit has changed completely. Its fair to say that neither of us even want to smoke a regular cigarette ever again. The thought of saving almost £20 a day is enough reason in itself, but these things are quite pleasant to use as well, so its a win win. Good luck to everyone who is using them, and we sincerely hope it pays off. P.S, we are going to drop down a few mg next week, so lets see how that goes!

... and so it begins:

http://www.france24.com/en/20130826-electronic-cigarettes-carcinogenic-french-report

Electronic cigarettes are “not as harmless” as manufacturers make them out to be and can “contain potentially carcinogenic elements”, a study by a French consumer magazine revealed on Monday.

E-cigarettes are more dangerous than thought and can cause cancer, the September edition of a French magazine has claimed.

“Electronic cigarettes are far from the harmless gadgets they’re sold as by manufacturers,” wrote monthly magazine “60 Million Consumers” following a study of some 10 reusable and disposable e-cigarette models.

“It’s not a reason to ban them, but to better control them,” said Thomas Laurenceau, chief editor of the magazine, which reports the findings of France’s national consumers' institute (INC).

The INC has relayed its findings to the authorities, Laurenceau told AFP.

Laurenceau also criticised certain models for lacking safety caps because, he noted, the nicotine levels contained in the liquid content of electronic cigarettes could be lethal to children.

The study claims to have employed an innovative method in detecting “a significant quantity of carcinogenic molecules” in the vapour of the cigarettes which, according to Laurenceau, have thus far gone undetected.

“In three models out of ten, the levels of [carcinogenic compound] formaldehyde come close to those of a conventional cigarette,” he said.

The highly toxic molecule acrolein was also detected in the vapours of e-cigarettes, “sometimes at levels even higher than in traditional cigarettes,” Laurenceau said.

One million people use e-cigarettes in France, where smoking has been banned in public places since 2007.

In May 2013, French Health Minister Marisol Touraine announced that the ban on smoking in public places would now be extended to cover electronic cigarettes.

Some 73,000 people die from smoking-related illnesses in France each year.

Unlike other European countries, the number of smokers has remained constant in the country despite price hikes on tobacco products and health-awareness campaigns.

As you say, now it begins..

The only reason they are scare mongering is because of all the revenue they are going to lose when people give up buying cigs, which are lethal to some anyway.

Hi all, been thinking of trying out one.of those vaporizers things,mainly to save money, but do any of them have that taste of a proper rough fag ?

Ive seen the red bull flavours etc etc, that's the last thing I want, I want something that's like a proper Marlboro red

Please feel free to recommend what I should ask for

But do you know that? is propylene glycol safe to be inhaled straight from the machine? and not passively like a theatre machine. what other hidden ingredients are there? are food flavourings safe to be vaped and inhaled? that's what give the flavours. Is the thing that vapes it safe? does that add any unknown crap to the vapour IE from the wick?

Asbestos is safe in solid form its the dust that causes problems. So how can anyone possibly know they are safe in the form they are used?

Know one has died from them yet. Did anyone die within 6 years of asbestos being invented? or normal cigarettes?

At the end of the day no one knows. When asbestos was invented it was the best thing since sliced bread for insulating. Thousands have died years on and are still dying from the effects.

PG has been used as the aqueous-based chemical additive in asthma inhalers and nebulizers since the 1950s, with no serious side effects known.

PG has been used as the aqueous-based chemical additive in asthma inhalers and nebulizers since the 1950s, with no serious side effects known.

Also people need to use common sense if you notice any side effects don't keep vaping! Also keep your e-cig clean and make sure that the mouthpiece is correctly fitted and that you store it mouth piece down! This allows the liquid that's condensed in the mouth piece to drain away and not pool in the bottom! Liquids should be bought from trusted responsible suppliers like myself! All liquids should be used within 2 weeks of opening so only buy bottles that you will use in 2 weeks! Change cartomisers every 2-3 weeks and clean them daily! Any liquid that you spill onto skin should be washed off immediately as nicotine is rapidly absorbed by skin (most rub it in then vape straightaway - hello nicotine overdose) keep away from pets and children! And most importantly drop your dose ever 2 months!! These are not fag replacements they are a stop smoking aid!!!!!!