E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

I started using a mirage e-cig on the 3rd of June this year after smoking for 25 years and I haven't even been tempted to smoke.

I tried numerous times to stop smoking using other methods but always started again after about 6 weeks.

IMO e-cigs do help you to stop smoking.

It's almost exactly a year since I last smoked a cigarette thanks to e-cigs, and I'd been on 30+ a day for more than 40 years.

Im pretty sure Lloyds and boots sell e.cigs.

Im pretty sure Lloyds and boots sell e.cigs.

Tesco sell them from the impulse purchase shelf at the in-store pharmacy too.

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 17:05 ----------

Or so you believe. You cannot say for certain though, can you?!

No, but you can base an assumption on some certainties we already know about.:

E cigarettes function by heating propylene glycol and glycerine to create a mist.

Theatrical effect fog machines work in precisely the same way, and can be scented with popular aromas just like 'e-fluid' (the nicotine containing solution e-cigs all use).

The only differences between the two are:

an e-cig produces a miniscule fraction of the quantity of mist produced by a 'smoke-machine'.

an e-cig's mist contains nicotine, which the "smoke-machine"'s mist does not.

Users of non inhaled, non-carcinogenic nicotine products suffer no ill effects from the nicotine, but appear to have a lower risk of alzheimer's and parkinson's disease.

The question is really, how damaging is inhaling PG/VG mist? Not damaging enough for them to ban 'smoke machines' - yet.

some of my friends have just purchased e cigs just wanted to know about your thoughts on vapor is it a good thing or bad ?

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 11:16 ----------

anyone got a mig cig 21 e cig been voted e cig of 2014

So one week the WHO announces that e-cigs are dangerous and the next week researchers say using them can save lives.

At the risk of repeating myself, the tobacco barons really missed out on E-cigs. Tobacco barons want increased warnings on about e-cigs, possibly legislation against them and higher taxes to bolster their profits because they are being gnawed at. Secondly, the government would love to tax them the same as tobacco products.

So one week the WHO announces that e-cigs are dangerous and the next week researchers say using them can save lives.

To be fair, the WHO argued strongly that enviromental nicotine pollution was the problem, which was a specious argument at best.

Actual researchers came up with the data, which shows, at worst, ecigs are orders of magnitude less dangerous than cigarettes.

All the substances inhaled have been exhaustively tested in humans for decades. Drawing up a risk profile for e-cigs isn't that difficult.

What does need to happen is regulation and testing. I certainly wouldn't buy any e-liquid from non-members of ECITA, which already have a rigorous testing regime in place.

As well as the internal auditing procedures, each member’s eliquid is regularly tested by GC/MS with isotope dilution analysis at a Public Analyst's lab, to ensure that nicotine levels are as stated, and that there are no contaminants in the liquid – in bottled liquid, pre-filled cartridges and cartomisers. In order to ensure that there can be no doubt as to the authenticity of the test results, the samples are ‘blinded’ before being sent to the lab. This means that the lab does not know what is expected to be found in the eliquid, and the gas chromatography/mass spectrometry results must be relied upon to provide the results in isolation. The blinding process allows us to monitor the lab’s results, and keep the standards as high as possible. In this way, consumers can be reassured that when they buy from an ECITA member, they know the eliquid contains only what it should. All samples are specifically checked for the presence of diethylene glycol and so far none has been found.

The government needs to work with the trade associations, before allowing any legislation, which should merely enshrine and enforce what the associations are already doing for themselves.

E-cigarette liquid bought on Tyneside 'potentially harmful'.

Which goes to show that these products should be properly regulated and tested.

I'd welcome testing and regulation. But I wouldn't want to see them sold in the same way that aids to stop smoking are. They should still be sold by licensed shops and packaged in the same way with flavours etc.

Ive noticed the 36 or 3.6 ml strength oils becomming harder to buy.I asked a guy in a vape shop today and he told me the government have outlawed this strength and that they had to clear ALL thier shelves of 36s within two months and that the max strength in future will be limited to the 24.

Anyone know if this is true?

the shop in chapeltown (ecloud) sells 3.6 in a few flavours.

failing that just make your own- follow the rules and safety advice though!