Same Sex Marriage

some people view marriage as a commitment between a man and a woman in partnership for a successfull long term relationship for the benefit raising a family.

Nearly half of children born in the UK now are born to unmarried parents, down from 90% 35 years ago. Your view belongs to a distant era.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/olympic-britain/housing-and-home-life/kid-and-kin/

I guess that is the difference between peoples views, some people view marriage as a commitment between a man and a woman in partnership for a successfull long term relationship for the benefit raising a family.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10067062/Gay-marriage-could-stop-Christians-becoming-teachers-or-doctors-church-leaders.html

I can't have babies. Does that mean that those people would say that I can't get married or make a commitment to any future long term partner?

I guess that is the difference between peoples views, some people view marriage as a commitment between a man and a woman in partnership for a successfull long term relationship for the benefit raising a family.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10067062/Gay-marriage-could-stop-Christians-becoming-teachers-or-doctors-church-leaders.html

Fortunately most people are more intellectually and emotionally intelligent than that.

Why would a gay couple want to marry under the banner of a faith which disapproves of homosexuality? Do vegetarians eat in steak houses?

Vegetarians can eat in steak houses if they want to (the chips and salad in ours is really good).

Should a steak eater be allowed to go into a vegetarian restaurant and DEMAND that they cook him a steak?

Any religious group has rules about membership, and about qualifications for taking part in their ceremonies. Should a church which does not believe in divorce be compelled to marry a divorced person, for instance.

Sadly, one reason for trying to marry in a church which disapproves of you might just be "How much can we get by threatening them with a discrimination suit". Like yours, my gay friends are too nice to do that, but there's some out there......

(Apologies for coming in late -- I missed the earlier posts in the thread)

Edited by jfish1936

Nearly half of children born in the UK now are born to unmarried parents, down from 90% 35 years ago. Your view belongs to a distant era.

Not many people will think that being unmarried is better for the kids, some might try to argue that its the same. But scientific studies do not back this up.

---------- Post added 28-05-2013 at 13:37 ----------

Should a church which does not believe in divorce be compelled to marry a divorced person, for instance.

Since gay people can get a civil partnership and then divorced, perhaps the rest of us must have equallity?

Not many people will think that being unmarried is better for the kids, some might try to argue that its the same. But scientific studies do not back this up.

Surely if marriage is good for kids we should have more of it by extending it to gay couples?