Same Sex Marriage

Well, what ever happens, things like this will always provoke a knee jerk reaction.

I say go ahead, do what makes you happy, people with hang ups will just have to hang themselves!

And don't get me started on religion and people who like to preach for a living.

speaking of belief this is the organization gays want to buy into::hihi:

The verses are Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13. First, Thou shalt not lie with a man, as with a woman: it is abomination. Second, If a man lie with a man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them

It doesn't seem to say anything about marriage though, unless you're one of those people who thinks that marriage and sex are the same thing.

its bit like an atheist going to church and insisting on taking part in the Eucharist. whats is the point apart from ******* off Christians? I just can't understand why such a traditional institution associated for the past 2000 years with Christianity and convention should be of interest to anyone except observant Christians, died-in-the-wool conservatives and pragmatists (e.g. marriage between a couple with different nationalities in order to obtain mutual residential rights, etc.). Marriage in the West is essentially a sacrament of the Christian church, so I simply can't see what the point is in participating in such an institution if you don't accept the underlying Christian principles in the first place.

You don't seem to think any gays could be Christian and want a Christian wedding

How many times can an issue be discussed on a forum?

Why do gay people want to get married within a institution which fundamentally disagrees with what they're doing?

It's like me wanting to join the hunting the fox hunting club when I'm against shooting foxes.

If you're gay, tie the civil partnership knot, the church doesn't want you.

And no I'm not a Christan, I'm an atheist, but if the Christians don't want to marry gay people, they shouldn't be made to.

Well. there will just have to be another way for gay people to be hitched, instead of calling it marriage.

Call it, mutual satisfaction!

Why do gay people want to get married within a institution which fundamentally disagrees with what they're doing?

It's like me wanting to join the hunting the fox hunting club when I'm against shooting foxes.

You seem to think that marriage is tied in exclusively with the Church, it's not.

And no I'm not a Christan, I'm an atheist, but if the Christians don't want to marry gay people, they shouldn't be made to.

Nobody is trying to make Christians marry gay people, quite the opposite actually.

you're on my ignore list all you do is get my posts removed

go away and troll somewhere else you're not interested in debate.

thats the last time I respond to you

What specifically in my responses to you corresponds with the behaviour profile of a troll?

I am not responsible if you cannot manage to reply to perfectly straightforward and honest examinations of your points of view without breaking forum rules.

You are, of course, at perfect liberty to ignore who you wish but it seems as though you have the wrong idea about which one of us is not interested in debate.

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 17:10 ----------

Probably a good few more, I would imagine, but you don't have to contribute if you don't want to you know.:)

Would you say the same thing about Catholics who use contraception? What about christians who eat shellfish and don't keep tidy beards?

No it's not. It's like you wanting to join the fox hunting club but not being allowed to by law because your eyes are the wrong colour.

Some churches do.

Who is trying to make them?

Edited by mikem8634

Strip away religion and you get closer to peoples true beliefs. " I think gays are icky and I don't like them "

Strip away religion and you get closer to peoples true beliefs. " I think gays are icky and I don't like them "

Nothing much to strip away from your homophobia then is there.

Nothing much to strip away from your homophobia then is there.

When did i say that they where my beliefs. Personally I have no problem with same sex marriage and don't see what all the fuss is about but clearly alot of people do.

As I said you strip away religion and you get closer to people's true beliefs. " I think gays are icky................. "

Edited by DYKWIA

When did i say that they where my beliefs. Personally I have no problem with same sex marriage and don't see what all the fuss is about but clearly alot of people do.

As I said you strip away religion and you get closer to people's true beliefs. " I think gays are icky................. "

Lol..thought you were quoting yourself.

It doesn't seem to say anything about marriage though, unless you're one of those people who thinks that marriage and sex are the same thing.

so your one of those people that thinks christians get married not to have sex?:hihi:

Edited by esme
quote tags

Because marriage gives an automatic entitlement to an awful lot of things that just aren't so if you're in a civil partnership or are just living together.

Entitlement to being the presumed next of kin and therefore having to be consulted in medical decisions in the event that the other spouse is too ill to decide things for themselves, entitlement to inherit pensions etc. I'm sure there are other things too.

Yes, these things can be got in other ways by signing and having witnessed a power of attorney document (in the case of the decisions) but why should people have to do that when everybody who is married gets it without any sort of special piece of paper? And on top of that, if you have a power of attorney you can demand to be heard, but nobody HAS to notify and consult you unless you ask to be, whereas if you were the married spouse it would be automatic.

It's so much more complicated than having just sex. An awful lot of people feel the need to make a strong partnership with a declaration of intention in front of everybody who matters to them too.

Then may be an open marriage is the answer.