Technical failure - man forced to drive for 125MPH for 125 miles

Poor guy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9867845/Every-drivers-worst-nightmare-Frenchman-forced-to-drive-at-125mph-after-brake-failure.html

'When Franck Lecerf trundled off to the local supermarket in his Renault Laguna 3 on Saturday, little did he know that he would be involved in a cross-border car chase that would end up in Belgium and make national news.

Mr Lecerf has filed a legal complaint after his car, specially adapted for disabled drivers, jammed, forcing him to plough all round the northern French coastal motorway. '

'The 36-year-old was on a dual carriageway on his way to a hypermarket when the car's speed dial first jammed at 60mph. Each time he tried to brake, instead of slowing down, the car accelerated, eventually hitting 125mph where it refused to budge. '

Be honest. How many people would love the opportunity to drive at that speed for over 100 miles.

and not once did he think of turning the key to off.

or sticking his foot on the clutch and cruising slowly to a stop

It was an adapted car, not sure if that had something to do with it.

What I don't get is when he ran out of fuel why did he drive into a ditch. Why not just freewheel to a stop?

and not once did he think of turning the key to off.

or sticking his foot on the clutch and cruising slowly to a stop

Probably didn't have a clutch as it was an adapted car for disabled - but yes, I'd have thought turning of the engine on an uphill stretch (and there are some on that road that are long and steep) would have brought him to a standstill fairly quickly.

Oddly enough on the same stretch of road 3 years ago my car got stuck at about 60mph (turned out to be a frayed throttle cable) - which was all well and good until I came to the channel tunnel approach - but with some braking and changing down gear, and finally switching off the engine I came to a safe halt a couple of hundred yards short of the queue for the check in in a safe place. Not something I'd want to do again.

If it was specially adapted it was probs an auto with hand controls for gears, brakes and throttle, all 'drive by wire' as well most likely.

If the computer behind it threw a fit he wouldn't be able to control any of those things, just the steering. So no shifting into neutral, and not much luck with brakes or throttle.

He could/should have thrown his keys or keycard out the window, after 1/2 mile or so the car would register they are no longer in the vehicle and shut down the engine.

Similar story to that bloke in England who's throttle stuck open on his BMW. He drove until a massive crash (because he was a massive idiot).

Similar story to that bloke in England who's throttle stuck open on his BMW. He drove until a massive crash (because he was a massive idiot).

Yep,can't understand why that guy didn't just turn the engine off..If I remember it was quite an old beemer so wouldn't be keycard etc..

His excuse was that he 'didn't want to loose control' because he thought the power steering wouldn't work anymore with the engine off.

However I think travelling at 120+ without brakes would constitute not being in control anyway.

Plus if it was still in gear and the motor turning (but not firing) the PAS would still have worked.

Archived