2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

That has to be a lie surely :hihi:

Google it ...

Got back around a couple of hours ago from Holme Moss. What an amazing day, an awesome crowd up there considering that people had to get there under their own steam.

It was brutal cycling to and up Home Moss, and it felt like it was life shortening to cycle back through Bradfield to Worrall

A massive thank you to all the people that made this weekend possible.

Radio Sheffield was advising people to catch the tram at Tinsley to get away, as Meadowhall was very busy. But surely, by the time that the tram got to Tinsley, it would already be full and so nobody would be able to get on. So how would that work?

The council were either deterring people or making them cycle everywhere :hihi:

What I found astounding was the fitness levels of the cyclist, oh my god.

Talk about prowess, all those miles and many hills including the killer last one.

I was sat there watching TV thinking, they must either live in the gym or love the pain.

It was almost like they train their asses off every day.

Yes - well done to all the volunteers that helped make today run so well.

You deserve a medal

What a fantastic day.

Went through town which I have never seen as busy on a Sunday.

Trams despite running more or less back to back were rammed like the London underground in rush hour!

Got to Jenkin Rd was absolutely packed, great to see so many locals getting into the spirit with bunting, flags and yellow bikes everywhere.

The thing that really made it special though was the fantastic atmosphere. Everyone was really enjoying the day and I don't think you could help getting caught up in the occasion if you were there.

It was almost like they train their asses off every day.

And their legs, how the hell did their legs not die with all that stress :huh::help:

And their legs, how the hell did their legs not die with all that stress :huh::help:

They just ignore the pain. Jens Voigt, who was the breakaway rider for most of yesterday (although he was caught by the peloton later on) is the oldest rider in the tour at 42 and he's quite good for quotes, including:

'Shut up legs! Just do what I want you to do!'

See what a difference shaving their legs make.

A great afternoon. I was on Herries Rd, the atmosphere was great, the weather was kind. A family nearby were all dressed in stripy jumpers, red neckerchiefs and moustaches (even the baby). Then the Lycra clad whippets all went past in a colourful blur ...

We watched it there too... Right on the Roundabout. Great day out and a pleasure to be part of.

I think we had more hubs. As is usual with Sheffield people from other parts of the city wouldnt think of going to Burngreave(Jenkins Road accepted) or lining the route, but would have gone out to oughtibridge, Holme Moss and Bradfield. When the race hit Sheffield they were more focused on an actual race than fan counting. There will have been thousands at the Don Valley Bowl and Meadowhall.

The Don Valley Bowl may have been only half full, but there were plenty of places from there to Meadowhall to get food and souvenirs and spectators were at least 3 deep on both sides of that final straight.

Despite this, we got back to our car (parked easily just across the canal from the Arena) reasonably quickly and had no delay at all getting round the ring road to Meadowhead, probably quicker than on a normal Sunday. A brilliant day out. The events in the Don Valley Bowl kept the grandchildren so well occupied we were in danger of missing the race. Adult plans to get to Jenkin Rod failed totally!

Theres an interesting article here about Gary Verity and how he won the bid.

Apparently the official bid was for Scotland to host the tour. He did a fantastic job.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/tour-de-france-2014-how-a-determined-sheep-farmer-stole-the-grand-dpart-from-scotland--and-left-the-government-fuming-9563368.html