2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

He had a bad TdF last year as well, so he decided to put all his efforts into it this year. It's his dream to claim the record for the over all stage wins for the TdF, it looked a certainty a few years ago but it looks doubtful now.

I know- we watch most cycle races, even when they aren't in the UK :)

I even have a text service for my OH because he's at work so he doesn't miss the news.

I know- we watch most cycle races, even when they aren't in the UK :)

I even have a text service for my OH because he's at work so he doesn't miss the news.

Sorry, I'm seriously gutted. As a cyclist that tolerates hills and accepts them as a necessary evil Cav is a hero of mine. I was so looking forward to seeing him tomorrow with the yellow jersey going up the cote de Holm Moss.

Watching the overhead shots of the crowds in the centre of Harrogate, looks beautiful, i'm sure Forgemasters, derelict Tinsley Wire site and the building site of the Don Valley Stadium will be equally as beautiful and show off our city well tomorrow.

My thoughts exactly!

Absolutely agree! Sheffield is one of two European cities built on seven hills, with allegedly more trees than people, and yet the powers that be have chosen to show the world our economic and industrial wastelands. I cannot believe that there is no more scenic route suitable for Le Tour than this!

Pedant alert: Sheffield wasn't built on seven hills, and there are more than two European cities that claim to be. I was in a meeting with people from all over Europe a while ago and there were half a dozen people in that room who it turned out came from cities which were supposed to have been built on seven hills - none of them Rome.

Watching the overhead shots of the crowds in the centre of Harrogate, looks beautiful, i'm sure Forgemasters, derelict Tinsley Wire site and the building site of the Don Valley Stadium will be equally as beautiful and show off our city well tomorrow.

The tour organisers picked the route they wanted that was suitable for the race. They dont just look at scenery, but want a route that is good for the race and riders. As long as people turn out, have a good time, dont spoil the race and the weather is ok that will be good enough for me. Sheffield isnt Harrogate.

Apparently loads of European cities claim to be built on seven hills.

Edited by 999tigger

The tour organisers picked the route they wanted that was suitable for the race. They dont just look at scenery, but want a route that is good for the race and riders. As long as people turn out, have a good time, dont spoil the race and the weather is ok that will be good enough for me. Sheffield isnt Harrogate.

Apparently loads of European cities claim to be built on seven hills.

Quite right, little silly for some to try and compare a spa town of about 70K in North Yorkshire with large urban city in South Yorkshire.

Just the overhead views of Sheffield won't give the area the best advertisement as opposed to Harrogate, but interestingly enough we didn't see many overhead shots of some the run out of Leeds through the housing estates etc.

I still wonder why the TDF organising committee chose to finish in an industrial area and not closer to the centre of Sheffield. What is wrong with Arundel Gate. It certainly looks as wide as todays finish in Harrogate and of some finish lines in last years tour not including the mountain stages which are notoriously narrow.

A run in up from St Mary's Gate to Arundel Gate finishing near the Crucible with everything going on slap bang in the middle of the city.

It's the council and the city of Sheffield that have lost out through no decision of their own.

Quite right, little silly for some to try and compare a spa town of about 70K in North Yorkshire with large urban city in South Yorkshire.

I just meant Sheffield is Sheffield. They could have chosen a different route in that came through Dore and not through the most deprived areas, but the Tour planners are more interested in the route and the experience for the riders. Hills,sprints, bends are the streets wide enough, how will they get all the team logistics in etc.

Showing Forgemasters is not something I will be ashamed of. It provides jobs and is part of the heritage of the city.

Thought the organisation and crowds were excellent. I hope Sheffield matches it and the weather holds off tomorrow.

Jenkin Road will be unreal tomorrow, the cyclists and the people up there.

A tip from Richard Fidler who does sport for The Star....Advice from stage one for stage two is get to where you want to be as early as possible. Take food and water and don't move !

They might have been quite keen on Jenkin Road which gives a finish with a twist.

They might have wanted to finish at the arena where theres space to spread out for the thousands of support staff and their vehicles.

Maybe it was some sort of economic deal with Meadowhall and the fact the fan hubs which might have 40-50,000 people would be easy to set up?

They also have access to the Motorway as they have to be in Cambridge the next day.

I was surprised they chose that route as was SF when the video came out(see this thread 60 pages ago), but I think most of the choice would have been from welcome to yorkshire and the organisers of the TDF.

Considering the amount of moaning on SF about the disruption caused when its only intersecting the north of the city, then imagine how much more there would be if it came into the city centre?

If you want a place on Jenkin Road, then youd either better live there or get there v early as a lot of people have the same idea.

Meadowhall is going to be heaving afterwards.