2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

I bet certain parts of Sheffield must have had a few weeks trade out of today.

it was a fantastic day lots of all sections of the community coming together, spital hill and all up burngreave road, good viewing point for the sponsors parade first then i went up to shirecliffe top to watch the riders and then to abbeyfield park for nice coffee and a few tunes.. just proves to me that sheffield is a wonderful city

---------- Post added 06-07-2014 at 22:08 ----------

i think that they got the route just right in sheffield very challenging for the riders and i think it gave a massive boost to the communities in the area of sheffield which usually gets bad press for all the wrong reasons you had to be there to appreciate it.. but respect your view but you had to be there

well said and seconded!

Must admit would not have been my choice of route. I would love to have seen them go up winatts pass then up surprise and into Sheffield along Ecclesall Rd as many cyclists do every weekend but as it turned out was still a good route.

Does anyone know where i might catch highlights of today ? I don't have a tv channel package, but i do have a pc. :)

Not impressed with the route chosen for Sheffield but I guess Jenkin Road made up for that (just). Massive Well Done to everyone involved.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Just finished my viewing of the replay, and I have to say I disagree the quality of racing that we got far exceeded what you usually get on an early Tour de France stage, at the end of the day cycling is a sport not a picture postcard competition. From everything I've read on cycling forums they were very impressed with the sporting spectacle, if we can get world class cyclists coming back to the city year after year that's far better for the city than some newly imagined tourist industry.

Does anyone know where i might catch highlights of today ? I don't have a tv channel package, but i do have a pc. :)

ITV4 will replay it tomorrow morning before the next stage starts, ITV's website will have highlights.

Experienced people chose (including cyclists) the route specifically to give a challenge to the cyclists. If they werent happy with it they wouldnt have accepted it. About four pages back theres a link to an article which gives an insight to what they are looking for.

Nobody commented on what deprived areas it ran through, but they all commented on what a tough challenging route it was and how they enjoyed racing on it. That specifically included Jenkin Road, which meant all the GC contenders had to fight to make sure nobody got away. That was the race they wanted and it delivered.

The race was going so fast at that stage people were focused on the racing.

There are still another 19 stages to go. Notice how they were quickly on the team coaches to get down to Cambridge for tomorrow.

Mega ITV player will have it on ctahc up tomorrow or if you go looking then you can find it with your pc.

Too many over excited people. Not seen a public overreaction like that since Diana died.

All the middle class morons breaking the rules and standing in the road, touching the riders as they went past, standing in front of cars .

I saw about 3 people get hit by the bikes. Good!

Edited by Clown Shoes

Enjoy that today, whole route 2day was spot on,just hope the TDF comes back next year, and the whole of yorkshire has made some money. Moaners get back to your sad lives tomorrow now !!!!