Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Anyone give me an idea of cost for fitting a gas fire, I have an inset one which has packed in, it was only serviced a month or so ago, I think it is the thermocouple but as the fire is about 14 years old will change it rather than repair it.

Is a room thermostat necessary?

This may seem a stupid question, however I've just had a new combi boiler fitted, and I agreed the mechanical timer on the boiler was adequate.

The gas engineer took this as meaning I did not want a room thermostat in the house, so now the heating comes on at the designated time and doesn't go off until the timer decrees it. This seems like the most inefficient, incomplete heating system imaginable.

I think he's taking the michael. He thinks I'm awkward. Any thoughts???

Under building regulations and the boiler manufacturers benchmark book a room thermostat is mandatory. Its classed as a boiler interlock which means it turns the boiler off once the property reaches a set temperature. By not fitting one he has breached building regs. I would check he has also registered the boiler with Gas Safe as I doubt he has if he hasn't fitted a room thermostat.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Could you suggest my best course of action now? Obviously I have lost confidence in him, and I was thinking I would get in touch with Gloworm, as the boiler is supposed to have a 5 year parts and labour warranty.

As long as the boiler is registered with the manufacture then the warranty stands. I would definitely get a thermostat fitted!! First point of call would be back to the installer advising him of what I have said and give him the opportunity to correct his error.

Also ask him to take mechanical clock out and fit a plug and play wireless stat.

Keeps sparky bill down

Under building regulations and the boiler manufacturers benchmark book a room thermostat is mandatory. Its classed as a boiler interlock which means it turns the boiler off once the property reaches a set temperature. By not fitting one he has breached building regs. I would check he has also registered the boiler with Gas Safe as I doubt he has if he hasn't fitted a room thermostat.

Hope this helps.

Lee is spot on with this advice, to many engineers not following part L that is why they are cheaper but in the long run they will be dearer, if they cut corners on part L where else will they cut corners? gas safe offer a free inspection of any appliance? I bet you have also not had a notification certificate from gas safe either!

---------- Post added 23-03-2014 at 08:33 ----------

hi can anyone help on a landlords cert I got high co/co2 ratio levels on a baxi solo 3 pfl 50 serviced boiler and no changed replaced fan to turret seal and blanking cap and seal still high any suggestions thanks

IS it the one where it has an inner flue clip connecting the fan to the inner flue tube? If it is and this look at all rusty replace it, very common problem on this model.

If you are struggling we are Baxi approved and trained service and repair engineers and have appointments all next week!

Lee is spot on with this advice, to many engineers not following part L that is why they are cheaper but in the long run they will be dearer, if they cut corners on part L where else will they cut corners? gas safe offer a free inspection of any appliance? I bet you have also not had a notification certificate from gas safe either!

---------- Post added 23-03-2014 at 08:33 ----------

Gas safe free inspection seems like a random lucky dip draw, unless anyone can tell me how to get one.

I have spoken to Glow-worm and they are saying it is not not essential. Again how can I find the relevant building regulation?

As Micky ET has stated Building Regulation Part L covers this. Link below explains more.

http://www.thenbs.com/buildingregs/associateddocuments/ShowContents.aspx?section=domestic&topic=b_0601_ASSDOC_DOMESTIC_00108&tl=no

Also if you call Gas Safe on 0800 408 5500 they will arrange to come out and check the engineers work then force him to make any necessary changes.

Gas Safe will also check a Job if you ask them to. like I said if they have cut corners not complying to part L what other corners could they have cut! you should also receive a certificate from gas safe in the post if he has registered your boiler install, some manufactures will not honour warranties unless installed by a registered gas fitter!

That helps a lot. Could you suggest my best course of action now? Obviously I have lost confidence in him, and I was thinking I would get in touch with Gloworm, as the boiler is supposed to have a 5 year parts and labour warranty.

As mentioned by others, boiler should have a stat fitted to comply with 'part L'....easiest to fit a wireless device, simple install