Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

OK, ive scrubbed the repair pro-tem now im looking at a replacement. Where is the best, cheapest place to get one from and installed?

To recap, its a hot-water combi boiler with NO radiators

Hoping someone might know the answer to this. Just bought a vertical 3 column rad which has very brief instructions only in broken English. The pictures suggest the 'standard' fitting is inlet top left, ie 2m high up the wall, outlet bottom right but has various 'special' configurations including only one inlet/outlet valve and the configuration I want; inlet bottom left outlet bottom right. Should this change from the standard configuration make any difference to the rad performance or something like the pressure needed to fill the rad? :confused:

You be fine on a combi boiler system

And tbh should be fine on all other systems

Hi

I'm looking for someone who can power flush my heating system. We have a combi boiler and some of the radiators have cold spot toward bottom/middle.

Need to get this done in next few weeks, any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

Happy to quote for power flushing cheers Jon at JB Heating.

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 21:37 ----------

Hoping someone might know the answer to this. Just bought a vertical 3 column rad which has very brief instructions only in broken English. The pictures suggest the 'standard' fitting is inlet top left, ie 2m high up the wall, outlet bottom right but has various 'special' configurations including only one inlet/outlet valve and the configuration I want; inlet bottom left outlet bottom right. Should this change from the standard configuration make any difference to the rad performance or something like the pressure needed to fill the rad? :confused:

Agree with JF should be no problem venting when installed cheers Jon at

JB Heating.

OK, ive scrubbed the repair pro-tem now im looking at a replacement. Where is the best, cheapest place to get one from and installed?

To recap, its a hot-water combi boiler with NO radiators

You would be cheaper putting a small output combination boiler in with just one radiator then if you ever wanted to add heating at least you could later, let me know if you want a quote you have my number.

Thanks

Mike

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 22:41 ----------

It will work fine as the others had said, my other advice would be if you add more than a couple of these to the system put an extra expansion vessel in as it will make the system quieter, I had to do this in my own home. I

Good Luck Mike

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 22:42 ----------

Hi

I'm looking for someone who can power flush my heating system. We have a combi boiler and some of the radiators have cold spot toward bottom/middle.

Thanks

Hi,

Happy to quote, when we power flush we use a power flush machine with the magna cleanse system( 2 giant magnets in effect) attached for the best results.

Call if you required a quote

Thanks

Mike

Hi

Thanks

Happy to assist, charge is £300 for up to 10 radiators, cheers, Steve

Has anyone seen any offerers on Combi boilers? Wheres best place to buy in Sheffield?

(Not interested in the British Gas offer of £400 off on trade in)

helplink do a deal

i should read the various Blogs before going with Helplink , seems to be more about selling finance than boilers

It is now a year since I moved from a gas heated home. There is no gas in my new home. The heating is oil fired. Do you know a reputable Oil Heating Engineer/Plumber to do the first boiler service please? They must be registered with relevant safety certificate. Cheers.

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me. I'm at a bit of a loss about what to do here and any assistance would be much appreciated.

I recently bought a new apartment where there is:

An immersion heater in a cupboard in the bathroom, on a switch with a light on it.

A hot water switch in the kitchen with a light on it.

The heater switch can be turned on, but nothing happens if the kitchen switch is not turned on.

If you turn on the kitchen switch, the light will only come on at certain times of day. These are, I think supposed to correspond with the off peak hours, which I am informed by the previous owner are: 7:30pm-7am and 1-4pm. However, I tried it this morning and it came on at 10AM. Sometimes it doesn't come on. If the kitchen switch light is on, the heater light is also on.

An electrician has tested the line to the kitchen switch, and told me that it is dead. However, it was tested outside of the above hours. One more thing - when the kitchen switch is on, the faceplate for the switch gets extremely hot. This strikes me as dangerous.

What's the best thing I can do here? I seemingly can't use hot water unless it's in the hours above, which I am informed by the previous owner are off peak hours. However, they're more than 10 hours and I don't know of any tariff above economy 10 then offers more than 10 hours off peak. I'm thinking it's a load of cobblers.

I really want to get rid of the switch and install a timer on the heater switch, but because it won't come on unless the hot water switch in the kitchen is on during certain hours, I don't know whether it will do anything.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm at a loss as to why the previous owner chose to artificially limit themselves in such a way as to be totally unable to use the water heater outside of off peak hours. Can anyone recommend the best way to get a timer set up? Would anyone be willing to do the job?

The flat is all electric and the heating is done via electric underfloor heating.

Many thanks!