Centertainment – no parking and then ticketing

robjb

We go to Cineworld on staff cinema night every Wednesday and the only time we have problems parking there is when something is on at the Arena. Even then it's usually ok - but tonight it was rammed! I think tonight was bad because Skyfall is on (sell out showings there), it was Orange Wednesday, Silent Hill is just out and they had special screenings of The Shining on with it being Halloween (which had sold out) and there was a show at the Arena - a perfect storm of events if you like. I agree it's unfair to ticket without addressing the problems causing random parking in the first place. There seems to be little communication between centretainment and the Arena to try and address parking and clashes like this and centretainment don't seem to do anything to deter people from the Arena shows taking parking away from centretainment customers. A sign saying don't park or else isn't going to work really. Maybe they could charge for parking and you take the ticket to Cineworld/bowling etc and get your money back. Or if you have a cinema pass or prebooked tickets or whatever you get a code to let you in. People going to the Arena wouldn't be able to get this back. Or more shuttle buses or something. Or maybe they should employ people to actually staff the barriers they have.

We go to Cineworld on staff cinema night every Wednesday and the only time we have problems parking there is when something is on at the Arena. Even then it's usually ok - but tonight it was rammed! I think tonight was bad because Skyfall is on (sell out showings there), it was Orange Wednesday, Silent Hill is just out and they had special screenings of The Shining on with it being Halloween (which had sold out) and there was a show at the Arena - a perfect storm of events if you like. I agree it's unfair to ticket without addressing the problems causing random parking in the first place. There seems to be little communication between centretainment and the Arena to try and address parking and clashes like this and centretainment don't seem to do anything to deter people from the Arena shows taking parking away from centretainment customers. A sign saying don't park or else isn't going to work really. Maybe they could charge for parking and you take the ticket to Cineworld/bowling etc and get your money back. Or if you have a cinema pass or prebooked tickets or whatever you get a code to let you in. People going to the Arena wouldn't be able to get this back. Or more shuttle buses or something. Or maybe they should employ people to actually staff the barriers they have.

Seems to be a regular problem these days. I can imagine that people will start to avoid Centertainment more in the future - Meadowhall is going to be a lot more popular. If Centertainment don't want to address the issue and negotiate overspill parking with the retail park, then it's their loss.

The police have probably had words saying something like it's 'restricting access for emergency vehicles'

but like others have said if they don't do anything people will just go to Medowhall, I know I do now - just can't be bothered fighting for a space at centertainment.

The pavements are very wide and no cars hindered pedestrians.

Its just not about the width of the pavement or hindering pedestrians. Pavements are designed for people, not heavy cars. I know of once place where all the flags are cracked and the kerb edge damaged because of cars parking on them.

Booked cinema tickets and at 6 o'clock tonight the whole place was grid locked. Dropped wife and kids off and an hour later parked on pavement on road towards retail park. Missed start of film and then on the way out loads of police ticketing cars. My issue is that the police said to me that it was Centretainment that had called them. Surely they were aware of the issue around 6, seems something not quite right and lots of peoples nights out spoiled!

How I read the OP:

I went out and parked somewhere I know I'm not allowed to and I got caught. It's not fair I shouldn't be punished in anyway. I don't care about pedestrians etc I've got a car and the law shouldn't apply to me. WAAAAAAH

This post was not intended as taking sides in wars against cars or pavements. The pavements are very wide and no cars hindered pedestrians. Yes trams are a great option,I use them regularly but a spur of the moment half term treat affected planning, Centretainment should be able to accommodate their visitors and not shop them to the cops.

The last time that we went to Centretainment at a busy time, we parked behind the white building opposite the retail park, (Carbrook Hall Rd, I think) and walked.

When we came out and were walking back to the car, the police were ticketing the cars which were parked on the pavements on both sides of the road that runs from the little roundabout behind the cinema towards Attercliffe Common, ie behind toys are us. I'm not sure if this is the road you mean, but I can categorically say that we had to walk in the road, as there was not room on the pavement.

By this time, the retail park had closed and its cark park was nearly empty.

The weekend evenings are far the worse and Wednesday night due to the Orange promotion but the problem builds when theres something on at the Arena instead of paying a fiver they park for free in Centertainment.

If you park in the retail park you will be ticketed there after 3 hours.

Its a nightmare parking and I have had to go home a couple of times because I can't park.

I usually take the bike if I go alone and for parking reasons I have decided not to re-new my unlimited card next year.

We normally park in the arena. A whole lot less stressful than driving around centertainment for 5 hours, only to end up parking in the arena anyway.

Until there's an event on, when the 'No Arena Parking' signs are all over the Centretainment, and the useless 'stewards' just stand at the entrance and watch people streaming out of the car park towards the Arena.

How I read the OP:

What a condescending bunch of kn*bs there are on this forum. I hope you freeze to death on your pushbike.