Sold a car in working order but 2 days later..

I agree with those who say it is no longer your responsibility once the sale is completed. If the fault is genuine, then it's tough on the buyers, but that's the gamble you take when buying a car privately.

I can understand why you have a certain amount of guilt.

You sold the car in good faith, it had been running ok up to the point you sold it so there was no reason why you would not be confident that it would continue to be a good car.

However it chose to fail 2 days later.

Not your fault. There is nothing the buying can do. He can't legally get his money back or make you pay for the repair.

Its just unlucky for him.

Forget it and move on.

my intentions exactly...... now i feel like my 6 hour valet on it before it went was a waste :)

my intentions exactly...... now i feel like my 6 hour valet on it before it went was a waste :)

If it was in such a superb condition, why did it need a six hour valet?

it often had a 6 hour valet, i look after my cars more of a hobby than mode of transport, my new cupra is on a 12 plate and already had 2 6 hour valets, i like things to be clean nothing bad about that.... theres a difference between tidy and clean and tidy....

To be honest It can take more than 6 hours to clean a car.

Pressure wash, hand wash, rinse, dry, cleanse paint, rewash, rinse, dry, clay, rinse dry, polish, wax. Clean all glass inside / outside, polish glass, foam clean seats / carpets and allow to dry

If you do it properly (taking wheels off to wash dry and apply high temp wax) and cleaning under the bonnet, door/boot shuts, then it can take all day.

My 3 cars get a good going over twice a year, with a wash / dry each week, and a wax every month.

Anyway back to the OP. It's admirable that you feel as you do, but it is buyer beware. You have no responsibility regards to the faults the new owner says that the vehicle has developed.

I wouldnt worry about it to much. Even if the car had a warranty (eg from a car dealer) the head gasket failing wouldnt have been covered.

Depends on the car and the dealer I suppose - mine certainly was when it blew on me.

Even ignoring the explanations about what a full valet includes, what has cleaning got to do with the running condition of a car?

For someone who is mechcanical dumb, having to ask for advice on this forum

To try to fix a car that fail 6 times of trying, what would he know about the other car being mechcanically sound??? A clean car doesn't mean it will run right

For someone who is mechcanical dumb, having to ask for advice on this forum

To try to fix a car that fail 6 times of trying, what would he know about the other car being mechcanically sound??? A clean car doesn't mean it will run right

the car i sold was MY PRIDE AND JOY it had everything it ever needed NEVER failed a mot, it went to SEAT barnsley 2 days prior to sale to see if it needed anything and they said no everything is A1 and offered £1900 for it.

and the car that failed it emissions 6 times was looked at by several peugeot mechanics and they could not pin point it... and there trained in 206's

and if your going to call someone dumb check your spelling its "mechanically" not "mechcanically"

obviously someone in a clapped out ford orion who spends more time fixing it rather than running it.

Edited by Miztasee