Sold a car in working order but 2 days later..

hi everybody i sold a car last friday all went well the buyer kept to the original plan and agreed price after leaving a deposit the week before prior to actual sale. 2 days later (sunday) i get a call just saying cylinder heads gone and hang up..... after thinking alot i decided to call them back and find out more details the car drove fine on the first day as it always had for me, on the second day it had done a rather long trip (which it has done for me many of times) it overheated and a diy mechanic diagnosed it.

where do i legally stand?, it was a private sale, they saw the car twice before driving it home, it never gave me any hassle used any water or oil, log book has been sent, the car had loads of history showing any thing it ever needed it had done.

im generally a too kind person have they picked up on this and are they trying there luck?

yes cash sale all in £10 used notes thought it was strange there wasnt any others mixed in there

If the CH's gone after only two days ask yourself the same question, would you be pleased?

Why are they trying their luck?, the car has blown up.

i wouldnt be pleased at all, but it was fine when it left, for all i know it could of been driven at 6000rpm for 30+miles once it left my drive i didnt know how it was driven

oh another thing the car is now 100+miles away so i cant even see it i have to take there word for it

In a private sale 'caveat emptor' stands - let the buyer beware. If you've been completely honest about the car, shown when it has broken for you and when it's been fixed or serviced - the responsibility is now with the person who bought it.

I'm on the other end of this, recently buying a bicycle. 1 week and the tyre and inner tube broke, but if I wanted statutary rights I should've gone to a shop. I got a cheap bike and now I'm paying for it - literally.

Just wandered is it the car in your previous posts ,just that it seemed to be causing you a lot of problems.

the car was always sold with honesty, no corners cut all work done at main dealers, all fluids was checked prior to sale, i even gave it a 6hour valet before they picked it up. this was the car i used to take my 2 year old son around in.... tbh it was my pride and joy!

no it was a different car, that car is still used as our family run around

i wouldnt be pleased at all, but it was fine when it left, for all i know it could of been driven at 6000rpm for 30+miles once it left my drive i didnt know how it was driven

Yes but you don't know. When they drove off did it sound like the engine was running at 6000rpm? It's very rare a person would drive a car correctly only to wait until you were out of sight to drive it like Mr Magoo.

Ask them for a dealership report on damage and likely cause of damage.

I've heard this story before, possibly on this forum. Car is sold to gypsies and then brought back two days later with a ruined / swapped engine.