Council tenants and unkempt gardens.

I drove through the wybourn estate yesterday and was amazed to see that out of about two hundred houses I past only about 2 or 3 gardens were maintained to any sort of standard.

People who live in council house and don't maintain or make provision for maintainence of their gardens should be moved into flats and make way for others who would apreciate the privelage.

The place looks a disgrace.

Maybe they dont want to be caught by the DSS.Probably claiming incapacity benefits for back injuries etc.

I drove through the wybourn estate yesterday and was amazed to see that out of about two hundred houses I past only about 2 or 3 gardens were maintained to any sort of standard.

People who live in council house and don't maintain or make provision for maintainence of their gardens should be moved into flats and make way for others who would apreciate the privelage.

The place looks a disgrace.

Really? You should have knocked on the doors of the properties with gardens you didn't like and told them what you thought.

Really? You should have knocked on the doors of the properties with gardens you didn't like and told them what you thought.

I would have needed a guide to get me through the jungle of weeds.

Recent reports in the papers suggest some of the locals are not too bad at horticulture.

Edited by ooisit

for the last few years the council have been posting letters to some houses on wybourn telling them not to mow their lawns or do anything to interfere with the bind weed. my front fence is covered with it coming over from next doors. we have bought our house but we still got a letter.

The state of the front gardens on an estate is a great indicator of whether or not it's a good estate.

I agree with this.

You can drive through any nice estate and very few gardens will be a mess but drive through the rougher estates and fewer gardens will be tidy.

for the last few years the council have been posting letters to some houses on wybourn telling them not to mow their lawns or do anything to interfere with the bind weed. my front fence is covered with it coming over from next doors. we have bought our house but we still got a letter.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:.

Classic stuff:rolleyes::rolleyes:!!

Classic stuff:rolleyes::rolleyes:!!

First post from a local and the tell us about the bindweed over running the place.:hihi::hihi:.

First post from a local and the tell us about the bindweed over running the place.:hihi::hihi:.

it doesnt make any difference to me cos my front is pebbled so i dont have to mow it :P

its not only the tennants that dont keep the gardens nice qand tidy.

opposite ware i live is some land that a housing association own.the grass has not been cut for a year but in their tenants agrrement it states that the tenant must keep the gardens tidy.ive sent 2 emails and phoned them numeras times and still its not been cut and tidied.

IF some people think council tenants should be forced to maintain gardens, then perhaps they also think private tenants, owner occupiers, mortgagees and the owners of empty buildings should be forced to keep their gardens in a good state too.

I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of new contracts issued to private tenants have a clause in them that insists that they keep the garden tidy and care for it.

I would be very surprised if this is not also the case with council tenants.

By nature, council housing seems to have more disabled tenants -this could also be a reason for some unkempt gardens. I'm not sure if there are any community programmes that offer help to disabled tenants with their gardens.

Edited by Darth Vader

When you first move into a council house you have nothing. Literally. The first priority has to be carpets and furnishings. Everything else has to come seconf espcially on a low budget..