Council tenants and unkempt gardens.

I drove through the wybourn estate yesterday and was amazed to see that out of about two hundred houses I past only about 2 or 3 gardens were maintained to any sort of standard.

People who live in council house and don't maintain or make provision for maintainence of their gardens should be moved into flats and make way for others who would apreciate the privelage.

The place looks a disgrace.

Its a sign of the times I'm afraid! You will find that many people who don't have a financial interest in a property, they couldn't care less about the upkeep or the appearance. You only have to drive around the many social housing estates in this city to illustrate my point. Tenancy should be given on a 2yr review basis, if you don't adhere to the criteria of maintaining the inside and outside of the property, you're out! ... no alternative flat, just out!

Its a sign of the times I'm afraid! You will find that many people who don't have a financial interest in a property, they couldn't care less about the upkeep or the appearance. You only have to drive around the many social housing estates in this city to illustrate my point. Tenancy should be given on a 2yr review basis, if you don't adhere to the criteria of maintaining the inside and outside of the property, you're out! ... no alternative flat, just out!

In contrast I drove through the Jordanthorpe estate about two weeks ago and about 9 out of 10 gardens were well kept.

Your idea of reviews is a good one I was really shocked at the state of the wybourn yesterday.

How can you possibly stereotype every household and judge them on that sort of criteria? At the end of the day I'm sure you will find a good few houses around the Wybourn which inside are kept pristine and look like palaces, this is probably down to the fact that it's a secure area and the petty thieves and vandals can't steal or destroy the things that they have worked extremely hard to buy. I don't live on the Wybourn i have very rarely ever ventured through the wybourn but I remember reading stories of door knockers getting knicked off doors over there, now i'm not being funny but in this climate what is the point in making the physical and financial effort to create a nice garden when little torags will probably come and steal it or ruin it?

How can you possibly stereotype every household and judge them on that sort of criteria? At the end of the day I'm sure you will find a good few houses around the Wybourn which inside are kept pristine and look like palaces, this is probably down to the fact that it's a secure area and the petty thieves and vandals can't steal or destroy the things that they have worked extremely hard to buy. I don't live on the Wybourn i have very rarely ever ventured through the wybourn but I remember reading stories of door knockers getting knicked off doors over there, now i'm not being funny but in this climate what is the point in making the physical and financial effort to create a nice garden when little torags will probably come and steal it or ruin it?

It doesn't cost a lot to keep your garden tidy and not like a council tip, as for your of what is the point of creating a nice garden, self respect, hygene and being able to use the garden are just a few. As already said if people don't want these gardens give them to someone who does, not just wybourn but everywhere.

Your idea of reviews is a good one I was really shocked at the state of the wybourn yesterday.

No doubt ruffle a few feathers on here, ha, ha!!

I spent my childhood on the Lowedges, in its day a nice estate, well kept gardens, along with the Gleadless Valley, model council housing estates actually, agreed you had the exceptions but they were few and far between. Sadly not the case now, society has changed for the worse beyond belief.

The way forward is to build more shared ownership properties, along with social housing at realistic rents with tight constraints on upkeep and maintainence. Mixing social housing with affordable housing would be a good start

It doesn't cost a lot to keep your garden tidy and not like a council tip, as for your of what is the point of creating a nice garden, self respect, hygene and being able to use the garden are just a few. As already said if people don't want these gardens give them to someone who does, not just wybourn but everywhere.

Where I live most if not all gardens are kept, I take huge pride in my own garden and make the most of it. I enjoy having friends and family round for summer shindigs / BBQ's and I have my D.I.Y veg patch which I have been lucky enough to get some home grown tasty veg from.

However would I make as much effort if I had undesirables helping themselves to belongings on my property or entering my property and damaging things, I don't think I would make as much of an effort.

The simple fact being that the Wybourn estate just like most estates has it's fair share of thoughtless petty criminals who for whatever reason deem it ok to steal from their neighbours and a good few unruly kids hang around on the streets and damage property for no apparently reason but for a kick as such. This will put a good few people off of taking the time to make their gardens look good only to have the hard work ruined.

I'm sure people have reasons for not tending to their gardens, ok a good few will be as you put them lazy beggars who don't deserve the outside space however I don't think you are being fair to generally attack everyone!

Where I live most if not all gardens are kept, I take huge pride in my own garden and make the most of it. I enjoy having friends and family round for summer shindigs / BBQ's and I have my D.I.Y veg patch which I have been lucky enough to get some home grown tasty veg from.

However would I make as much effort if I had undesirables helping themselves to belongings on my property or entering my property and damaging things, I don't think I would make as much of an effort.

The simple fact being that the Wybourn estate just like most estates has it's fair share of thoughtless petty criminals who for whatever reason deem it ok to steal from their neighbours and a good few unruly kids hang around on the streets and damage property for no apparently reason but for a kick as such. This will put a good few people off of taking the time to make their gardens look good only to have the hard work ruined.

I'm sure people have reasons for not tending to their gardens, ok a good few will be as you put them lazy beggars who don't deserve the outside space however I don't think you are being fair to generally attack everyone!

So you think having an unkempt garden looking like a tip is acceptable, well sorry I don't agree, you don't have to fill it with valuables to keep it tidy.

Edited by ooisit

How about a £500 bond to be lodged with Sheffield Housing when you take on one of their properties which will be forfeited if an upkeep contravention occurs? This could be funded by a council loan paid back over 12 months

IF some people think council tenants should be forced to maintain gardens, then perhaps they also think private tenants, owner occupiers, mortgagees and the owners of empty buildings should be forced to keep their gardens in a good state too.

So you think having an unkempt garden looking like a tip is acceptable, well sorry I don't agree, you don't have to fill it with valuables to keep it tidy.

Why don't you just grow up, I agree with you to an extent but at the same time I think you have to consider the whole bigger picture in financially / socially depraved areas. I don't agree with you in full and i'm not going to so rather than having a pop at me why not take your opinions to somebody who cares about your some what biased opinions.

Numerous factors flaw your rediculous opinions, Age, finances, crime being few of many reasons that people might not tend to their external areas. End of debate as far as i'm concerned, you have no proof what so ever that the population of the Wybourn as a whole are delibrately neglecting their gardens.

I live far from the Wybourn but feel the need to defend them because your opinions are simply pathetic.

Why don't you just grow up, I agree with you to an extent but at the same time I think you have to consider the whole bigger picture in financially / socially depraved areas. I don't agree with you in full and i'm not going to so rather than having a pop at me why not take your opinions to somebody who cares about your some what biased opinions.

Numerous factors flaw your rediculous opinions, Age, finances, crime being few of many reasons that people might not tend to their external areas. End of debate as far as i'm concerned, you have no proof what so ever that the population of the Wybourn as a whole are delibrately neglecting their gardens.

I live far from the Wybourn but feel the need to defend them because your opinions are simply pathetic.

You wanna grow up and put your dunmmy back in because people don't agree with you.

Lets have a look at your factors.

AGE...There are numerous agencies to help for free.

FINANCES...It costs nothing to cut your grass.

CRIME......What has that got to do with tidying your garden up.:loopy::loopy:.

There is no debate from you just pathetic childish tantrums giving excuses for lazy idle ignorance.