Sheffield United, financially 'Running on empty' says Wilson..

having said about never going to a match ive thought recently about contacting a few owls about going to the forthcoming boro match as boros my "home" game

One thing is for sure a bad run this coming term will make a massive impact on the blades and give the darkest times for years. You need to bounce back this season or this league may be home for a while !

There are two points really on this thread.

The first is the OP, which quotes Wilson regarding the lack of money at the Lane.

Something which would surely be appeased by greater season ticket sales.

The second point is in relation to judging fans based on their committal to their club.

I don't really have a problem with people making whatever choices they do about how they buy their tickets.

What i do have a problm with is this post:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8967185&postcount=3

It's in relation to Wednesday's increased season ticket sales, and reads:

glory hunters that were missing in the clubs dark days of winding up orders and bank debts!!

RESPECT THE 12,000 DIE HARD SEASON TICKET HOLDERS THERE FOR THE BAD TIMES.

AMEN

Ladybirds judges new season ticket holders at Hillsborough, and casts aspersions realting to the fact that they didn't buy season tickets in our bad times.

He has no respect for them.

Yet in this thread freely admits he won't buy one for the lane this season.

hyp·o·crite   /ˈhɪpəkrɪt/ Show Spelled[hip-uh-krit] Show IPA

noun

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Knowledgeable he may be. And he may attend a lot of matches this season. But he has rights to show such hatred, and get so arrogant towards returning Wednesday fans.

I've missed plenty of games recently m8, I just can't afford the prices they are charging a lot of the time, I have other higher priorities to be honest.

But that doesn't make me or anyone else if they miss any less of a supporter than the next man/woman.

I went to football matches on mi todd at 8 years old even went to Nottingham to watch the Owls on a boxing day when i was about 10 and got r8 done for it lol, in those day's it was more affordable, knock the prices down like they are in Germany and watch those grounds fill up :)

You got that right mate!

Cost me a bit more this season as my daughter now has a season ticket too, so another £115 was added to the cost.

I reckon my usual 8/10 away days maybe down to 3 or 4 because of cost alone, which is spiraling every year :(

You got that right mate!

Cost me a bit more this season as my daughter now has a season ticket too, so another £115 was added to the cost.

I reckon my usual 8/10 away days maybe down to 3 or 4 because of cost alone, which is spiraling every year :(

You could do with getting involved with a supporters club if your looking to get to more away days Billy mate, Much cheaper to get to games overall. Feel free to PM me, I have a few friends who run away travel for Wendesday and dependent on where you are and how often your looking at travelling I'm sure I could set you and your daughter up with regular travel. :thumbsup:

You got that right mate!

Fortunately, we travel free to most away games (free fuel and share the driving round) and use the train to the one's which are cheaper to get to ...

Wouldn't wanna go paying for 2/3 people to travel away could get pricey!

One thing is for sure a bad run this coming term will make a massive impact on the blades and give the darkest times for years. You need to bounce back this season or this league may be home for a while !

Hate to say it, but i agree with you there, the stuff coming out of the Lane over the last few days doesn't seem too positive at the mo, no new signings or retainments, and not long to go now till the league starts for real. I hate to be negative about my beloved Blades, but some fingers need pulling out ASAP...

that he managed to make the effort and spend a lot of time and money supporting his team in one of the most important matches for his club

however

compare that with melthebell and frank sidney who chose not to support their team at one of the most important matches in a long time instead choosing to sit on here pontificating to others

Good for CB.

Top geezer for making the effort. :thumbsup:

However, I'm not willing to send the others to some gas chamber or the gallows for not going to games.

Maybe they can't afford it, or have more pressing commitments, like eating, clothing, etc?

Hate to say it, but i agree with you there, the stuff coming out of the Lane over the last few days doesn't seem too positive at the mo, no new signings or retainments, and not long to go now till the league starts for real. I hate to be negative about my beloved Blades, but some fingers need pulling out ASAP...

And who do suggest pulls their fingers out exactly?

I don't see who you are trying to get at? The club are in a massive transition and overall massive changes need to be made in time for next season therefore a sensible approach is required towards it. The fact being that we need to have a squad within a certain wage budget in time for next season, Wilson wants to keep key players in order to mount a promotion push next year which means that the wage bill despite being substantially less than it has been for a few years will still be higher than others in the league. The financial fair play rules say that our squad needs to be of a certain expenditure which means that until we know who is staying we can't just go out willy nilly bringing players in.

Things will happen, players will come in and players will no doubt leave however we need to accept the right bids that will enable us to take the club forward and equally we need to bring the right type of players in hopefully using money generated from the loss of players for whatever reason. Wednesday fans on here have hit the nail on the head on the fact that we are in league one, they know what it is all about having been around here for a while in recent years and that isn't a knock at them but we need to go about things in the right way, we are not a championship club right now, we want to be but can only achieve that if the right decisions are made in taking the club forward.

You can't knock Mr McCabe, he's bankrolled us for some time and the truth of the matter is that we are now strictly tied down as to the type of players we can bring in anyway due to financial restrictions both from the league and at the club. We are just going to have to be patient and wait for things to happen, hopefully sooner rather than later so that new players get the chance to gel etc but with Players calling the shots in the modern game without any due respect for their clubs, this is far easier said than done!

A completely different approach is needed to what we have known over the last decade, as fans were not going to like it, were tied down and all decision have to be made thoroughly, we just have to trust that Wilsons experience in lower league football will help him bring in the right type of player to do the business whilst remaining in budget.

Edited by bassett-boys

You could do with getting involved with a supporters club if your looking to get to more away days Billy mate, Much cheaper to get to games overall. Feel free to PM me, I have a few friends who run away travel for Wendesday and dependent on where you are and how often your looking at travelling I'm sure I could set you and your daughter up with regular travel. :thumbsup:

Cheers for that BB! :thumbsup:

Really appreciate it fella. If finances pick up then that seems a good option.

Good stuff :)

Cheers for that BB! :thumbsup:

Really appreciate it fella. If finances pick up then that seems a good option.

Good stuff :)

No problem what so ever mate let me know whenever :thumbsup:

No problem what so ever mate let me know whenever :thumbsup:

True flipping sheffield spirit there lads!:) :)