Looks like circumcision could be banned.

Don't worry about it.

I'm not. I know it to be distinctly false. :) Firstly, circumcision isn't mentioned in the Bible until God's covenant with Abraham.

Genesis 17:9-10 (KJV)

9 And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.

10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

Secondly, I know the real history. The early Israelite tribes were split up after being taken as slaves, and some copied circumcision as a sign of faith off the Babylonian priesthood. This was the start of Jewish nationalism, and the emphasis on the Sabbath and circumcision as a mark of their faith.1

On a lighter note, is this a biblical pun?

Deuteronomy 10:16 (KJV)

16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.

1: Russell, The Religious Development of the Jews

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

If circumcision is banned - on the grounds that it is unnecessary mutilation (or on any other grounds, for that matter) - Do you think that the barbaric practice of drilling holes in the ears of (usually female) infants will also be banned?

If circumcision is banned - on the grounds that it is unnecessary mutilation (or on any other grounds, for that matter) - Do you think that the barbaric practice of drilling holes in the ears of (usually female) infants will also be banned?

To the best of my knowledge, all men were born with foreskins, it's mainly the jews who decided that they should be removed. If god gave all men a foreskin then jews should have them sewn back on, that will take their mind of the palastinians for a week or two.:banana::banana:

It should be IMO, although unlike circumcision it's completely reversible.

Perhaps I'm a bit naive but I always thought it was a mainly Jewish thing, I know it's supposed to be more hygienic but I'll stick to a foreskin & washing it daily. Not sure what the practice of drilling holes is but sounds horrible, what also gets me is the people who choose to have their ears pierced with great rings, so there's a great open hole in the lobe.

Perhaps I'm a bit naive but I always thought it was a mainly Jewish thing, I know it's supposed to be more hygienic but I'll stick to a foreskin & washing it daily. Not sure what the practice of drilling holes is but sounds horrible, what also gets me is the people who choose to have their ears pierced with great rings, so there's a great open hole in the lobe.

so you can stick things in using em as extra pockets :)

In Norway, Jenny Klinge of the Centre Party has called for a ban on this barbaric and unnecessary mutilation of male babies.

Is anyone willing to condone the practice?

I certainly will not condone the practice - circumcision is child-abuse in my view! There is no need for it except in rare medical cases. Even then, it's often performed because the surgeon's plastics skills aren't up to the job. The foreskin has evolved over millions of years. If it was no good, men wouldn't have them!

The NHS should NEVER provide or fund religious circumcisions, and if anyone ever says that it is better for this to be done properly by a skilled surgeon in a clean hospital than in the child's bedroom, consider that the same argument can be used to justify female circumcision (clitoridecomy) on the NHS, which is an operation favoured by many Muslim men because it totally destroys any possibility that a woman could ever enjoy sex, and therefore it makes them easier to keep in-line. And they don't need to be satisfied - after all, they can't be!

Any surgeon performing religious circumcisions should be struck-off in my view! It is an appalling abuse of a child. It is nothing less than genital mutilation, and goes wrong from time-to-time, leading to amputation and sometimes death from infection.

Even when it goes well, the children suffer pain and discomfort for a long time.