Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

I have an idea. Its fortnightly now, and there is sod all we can do about it. People power only works when everyone stands side by side, which isnt the way here in Sheffield anymore. Self, self and myself. Pull the ladder up Jack. Bradley Wiggum has annoying sideburns. Its a bin for craps sake, and if its full, dont put owt else innit.

Thats right crush your cans,flatten your flan case and deflate your disposables.

Thats right crush your cans,flatten your flan case and deflate your disposables.

I dont think you realise just how funny the terminology "Flan case" actually is. Thank you for making me spit my crumpet all over the wife:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Per capita waste plastic packaging rose from around 28 kgs p.a to about 32 kgs between 1998 and 2008.

4 kg a year increase, an increase of 80g a week , hardly going to fill the 160 extra litres a standard wheelie bin offers over a traditional dustbin ... is it ...

especially when large amounts of that are probably PET pop and squash bottles which crush done before going into the recycling bin ...

Veolia sell all of the re-cycled waste and make a vast amount of money from doing so. Thats fair enough ,and ive no objection to them making money, but i refuse to act as an unpaid rubbish sorter on their behalf ,so they can make money . If they want to sell our rubbish ,they should sort it themselves ,and pay their staff to do it, not expect the general public to do this free of charge so they can maximize their profits.

to re use part of penistone 999's signature

Sheffield Born And Bred... strong of arm and thick of head ...

because

1. contaminated recyclables are worth far far less

2. sorting at point of disposal delivers a higher quality end product which dun dun der goes to reduce your council tax ...

to re use part of penistone 999's signature

Sheffield Born And Bred... strong of arm and thick of head ...

because

1. contaminated recyclables are worth far far less

2. sorting at point of disposal delivers a higher quality end product which dun dun der goes to reduce your council tax ...

No it dosnt . The profits from selling the recyclable rubbish are made by Veolia , a private business.

Please copy & paste where I said it was left in the street.

In fact it was on my drive, so the perpetrator had to go down my drive to get to the bin.

In any event empty bins are left on the street between the time the bin is emptied and the time owner is able to retrieve it. That still does not give anyone permission to use my bin.

No it dosnt . The profits from selling the recyclable rubbish are made by Veolia , a private business.

The theorey* is that the council tax payers save money because Veolia collect rubbish more cheaply than the council can. They're able to do this because they sell the recyclables.

People who don't recycle reduce Veolia's profits so they will increase their prices to the council.

* I say "theorey" because we'll never know whether or not this works in practice. You never get straight answers from politicians and council jobsworths; companies hide behind the "commercially sensitive" shield.

Please copy & paste where I said it was left in the street.

In fact it was on my drive, so the perpetrator had to go down my drive to get to the bin.

In any event empty bins are left on the street between the time the bin is emptied and the time owner is able to retrieve it. That still does not give anyone permission to use my bin.

Then apologies for my assumption. An assumption based on having to negotiate bins strewn around the street, mostly outside my house to the extent I have had comments myself about putting my bin away when in fact mine is in my back garden but I often have to shift a bin from the front of my path or to open the car door - so most cases of bins being filled are probably on the street.

And yes I am aware bins have to be on the street for one day (that's not 6 days into a 14-day cycle though)