Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

How will rats gain access to the bins?Are they capable of scaling the sides,lifting the lid ,feasting and then climbing up again?

If they need too they'll chew their way through concrete, do you really believe a plastic bin would stop them ?

I wonder if they provide a BUPA plan for bin men?

why ?

PPE and hand washing are more than adequate protection against the various bugs mentioned ... after all that is what we do in hospital when dealing with wounds colonised or infected with them .

E Coli and Staph Aureeus (among others) are part of the body's own flora and fauna ...

If they need too they'll chew their way through concrete, do you really believe a plastic bin would stop them ?

not seen any evidence of rat attack on wheelie bins in the near 20 years i've been using wheelie bins in various places ...

No , but they will love all the black bin bags dumped everywhere due to bins being full because they are only being emptied every fortnight.

well people are can't or won't take responsibility for managing their household waste deserve it ...

oh yes I forget we are talking about the People's Entitlement Republic of Sheffield and not the real world, only in Sheffield would someone suggest that the way to achieve the segregation of recyclable materials is some grotesque third world spectacle of t' council paying people to post disposal sort waste rather than householders having the slightest bit of personal responsibility and disposing of waste into the appropriate bin or box ant the point of generation.

Are you surprised.

This is the flawed study that caused it all.. DEFRA report on 2 weekly collections..

""This study conclusively nails the idea that they cause rats and other vermin as long as food waste is wrapped up. If people are clean and efficient with waste, there should be no problem at all."

Right. So there should be no problems providing everybody (and I mean everybody) wraps their waste in clingfilm. That's really going to happen..

I don't think a bit of clingfilm will stop rats :hihi:

why ?

PPE and hand washing are more than adequate protection against the various bugs mentioned ... after all that is what we do in hospital when dealing with wounds colonised or infected with them .

E Coli and Staph Aureeus (among others) are part of the body's own flora and fauna ...

And there's no such thing as hospital aquired infections I suppose.:loopy::loopy:

"Healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) are one of the most pressing issues facing our health services today. According to the Department of Health one in ten patients acquires a HAI, and those who do contract an infection stay in hospital nearly three times longer than ordinary patients, placing tremendous financial pressure on our already strapped-for-cash health services. "

I don't think a bit of clingfilm will stop rats :hihi:

Neither do I, but DEFRA seem to think so.

They chew through houses?Is it true that they ate the original Forth road bridge?

I would also think about 20% of all black bins are split anyhow and others have lids missing or jammed open due to the amount in them.

Edited by wellyman

is everyone forgetting all the other councils on a fortnightly collection system?

Derbyshire has it, and we arent exactly over run with rats and vermin, there arent steaming piles of festering black bags all over the place, queues at the local tip for those who cant manage.

The only difference is that your recycling bins arent as convenient as ours.

we have three bins

Green - for garden waste and cardboard - only collected during spring, summer and autumn

burgundy - cans, bottles, tins, jars, plastic bottles, cardboard, paper, clothes, batteries, shoes, phone books, foil and a load more that i cant remember

black - the small amount of waste left over after that

all the above are 240l bins so not difficult to move and dont blow over or away in the wind.

oh, and at Christmas, they will take bags of side waste if we leave it in a bag tied up by the bins