Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

Thanks - and also to RTB.

Pre-tax Profits are £123 million. It's for all their activities - not just Sheffield - but it's a lot of money to be taking out of the system when local authorities are facing big cuts.

I suppose it depends on the level of capital they have invested.If their assets were £5 billion then a rate of 2.4pc seems paltry

No. You're still effectively working for a large company to save them money. Supermarkets don't employ people to serve you, petrol stations don't employ pump attendants and Veolia don't employ sorters, in all three cases you're doing the work of these people.

If you're so principled why not buy all your provisions at the corner shop, use a small independent garage/petrol station (if there are any left) and sort your aluminium, steel and glass and weigh it in yourself?

Where is the personal benefit to myself by re-cycling my rubbish . ? Is there a financial benefit to me ? No

When i fill up with Diesel there is a benefit to me , IE, i can drive my motor.

When i fill my trolly in the supermarket there is a benefit to me ,IE, i have food in my cupboard.

There is absolutely no benefit to me ( or any householder ) for re-cycling my rubbish for Veolia to sell.

The only people to benefit are Veolia and their shareholders.

Where is the personal benefit to myself by re-cycling my rubbish . ? Is there a financial benefit to me ? No

When i fill up with Diesel there is a benefit to me , IE, i can drive my motor.

When i fill my trolly in the supermarket there is a benefit to me ,IE, i have food in my cupboard.

There is absolutely no benefit to me ( or any householder ) for re-cycling my rubbish for Veolia to sell.

The only people to benefit are Veolia and their shareholders.

You may find it therapeutic,and actually gain a sense of being part of a community,strange as that may seem,given your very private self-centred and insular view of the world.

You may find it therapeutic,and actually gain a sense of being part of a community,strange as that may seem,given your very private self-centred and insular view of the world.

Like i said ,there is no financial incentive for me( or anyone) to Re-cycle .

I wonder what the legal implications would be if someone else (with a waste operators license) started going round emptying the blue boxes - maybe on a weekly basis!

After all, the contents don't belong to Vile-ola, so the householder could give them to anyone they wanted...

(P.S. I'd like a cut of your profits for thinking of the scheme - i'll give eastbank a bit for almost thinking of this little earner)

:)

Edited by Litotes
spellink

I wonder what the legal implications would be if someone else (with a waste operators license) started going round emptying the blue boxes - maybe on a weekly basis!

After all, the contents don't belong to Vile-ola, so the householder could give them to anyone they wanted...

(P.S. I'd like a cut of your profits for thinking of the scheme - i'll give eastbank a bit for almost thinking of this little earner)

:)

Anyone , i would imagine could go round collecting the rubbish for a fee ,as its just a normal business transaction ,like getting someone to come and take away some garden rubbish or some old sofas. Any householder can pay a licenced waste carrier in a van to remove any rubbish they like.