Is it normal to dodge missiles as a cyclist?

I dont ride a bike pal i just observe road users ,read the papers and watch the telly to note, the latest child, cyclist, pedestrian killed by a car or lorry driver, who always says, I did not see him or her, your honour and i know i should,t have been on the mobile or looking at my delivery note while driving.

well I hope whilst you are observing other road users, you are keeping an eye on where you are going. You wouldnt want to hit another road user.;)

Could you do me a favour, and copy and paste the bit where I said "I hate cyclists". I just cant remember typing that, and I will gladly retract it. Cheers.

Sorry, what you actually wrote was "I dont like cyclists, but I wouldnt knock one off on purpose or say he/she was smelly or stupid." Not quite what I recalled.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8912316&postcount=483

I see someone has been let loose with the trimmers overnight :suspect:

And how would a ROAD race cyclist train for his events if not up East Bank Road or Moscar. Perhaps he could toodle around a local park or even owlerton dog track.

They train on the A1 and cause bedlam and joggers should stick to footpath as indeed most of them do or at least face oncoming traffic if they have no choice but to use road. Cyclists think they are a law unto themselves in the main and we see quite a few on way to work and I would say about 20% actually know trhe highway code because if the other 80% know it they definitely don't think it applies to them:hihi::hihi::hihi:

And good luck to them. Olympic standard cycling is a controlled sport in a controlled area, being rode by professional atheletes, and they are a far cry away from the very, very unprofessional cyclists whose dangerous riding skills are being questioned. To put both classes of cyclist in the same topic is nonsensical. The only cyclist who needs banning from the road is the chap who rides like a pillock. To all the sensible riders, carry on. If the cap fits....

Oh, and it IS your statement in bold, and yes it was me that bolded it, duh!

Olympic standard sport ..... in a controlled area ..... professional athletes .... still hammered by a car driver. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7W-tkd1C5I

This is a no win situation .... yes there are idiots on both sides. Yes there are both cyclists and drivers who should take more attention of the roads. Yes there are naive cyclists who don't take their own safety seriously and yes there are aggressive drivers who don't take other people's safety seriously.

The point is that while cyclists have every right to ride on the roads, we are also far more vulnerable than who we are sharing the roads with. And while the drivers are saying "it's the cyclists fault" and the cyclists are saying "it's the drivers fault", nobody is saying "maybe we should all be riding/driving more sensibly and responsibly!"

ps Denlin .... just wondering if you'd read the new Highway code since it was reissued in 2007? I've read some but probably not enough.

Edited by ShotoKarate

Must admit as someone who has done a good deal of walking about in Malvern, that I've never been abused at all there but I certainly have been in Sheffield.

I grew up there; some of the residential parts are just as bad as anything up here has to offer.

They train on the A1 and cause bedlam and joggers should stick to footpath as indeed most of them do or at least face oncoming traffic if they have no choice but to use road. Cyclists think they are a law unto themselves in the main and we see quite a few on way to work and I would say about 20% actually know trhe highway code because if the other 80% know it they definitely don't think it applies to them:hihi::hihi::hihi:

So what you're saying is that cyclists are on a par with drivers?

Just off to get on my bike for the ride home. If you see me whizzing past your queuing cars near Halfords, give me a toot. Pink and white bike and a red helmet.

People are as good and bad as each other, whatever their mode of transport. Some comedically high horses on all sides here.

Thats because the bulk of the HC relates to vehicles,not bikes.Cycles were on the road long before cars,and therefore should be respected accordingly.You rarely see an overweight cyclsts but many drivers are OBESE.

I have to say I cant stand most cyclists. They ride in the middle of the road when they should be near the kerb. One was riding along the right hand side of me today when I was blatantly about to turn right. I honestly turned like I wouldve if he werent there, why should I slow down or try to dodge him when he could see I was going right. I mean why should I do 10mph behind a cyclist when I can do the speed limit which is 30. Personally I cannot stand a cyclist riding like he owns the road, as long as they stick to the sides I dont mind. I say why should we watch out for bikes? Cyclists should watch out for us.

I have to say I cant stand most cyclists. They ride in the middle of the road when they should be near the kerb. One was riding along the right hand side of me today when I was blatantly about to turn right. I honestly turned like I wouldve if he werent there, why should I slow down or try to dodge him when he could see I was going right. I mean why should I do 10mph behind a cyclist when I can do the speed limit which is 30. Personally I cannot stand a cyclist riding like he owns the road, as long as they stick to the sides I dont mind. I say why should we watch out for bikes? Cyclists should watch out for us.

Here lies your problem

I have to say I cant stand most cyclists. They ride in the middle of the road when they should be near the kerb.

That contradicts the advice in the government's cycle training scheme.