Is it normal to dodge missiles as a cyclist?

Drove through Gilberdyke today. Nice wide roads, very flat and packed full of cyclists, all riding in a courteous manner. Some had the full lycra ensemble, but most were ordinary folk, giving way to pedestrians and constantly looking behind them with vigilance. It was like a scene from "Tales from the Darkside".

This is a far cry from the loonies that ride around Sheffield. Do Gilberdykers have a weekly edition of "Cyclecraft" delivered?

Its these nutters who sway in and out, wobble from left to right as they are stood up, doing 4mph up a steep hill (No hills in Gilberdyke) and generally not paying any attention to whats going on around them, that get my hackles up/give me high blood pressure/force a coronary/argue with cyclists blah blah blah......

Yep, there ARE wacky motorists which ive acknowledged many times, but being wacky on a pushbike is, well, pure lunacy.

Sheffield does not seem to be the friendliest of cycling areas, and maybe its time more cash was invested in better routes for you people to cycle on, as the way it is at the moment, Sheffield is a very busy place to be on the road, and less people driving and more cycling is probably not going to happen, especially with the vast amounts of hills you have to tackle getting from one side of town to the other.

I hope Adamf/cyclone/squiggles/onewheeldave/molly44 (who was the one who condoned going thru red lights, cyclone) and all the other cycling chums can see that where it may come across as anti-cycling, thats not the whole picture. All the tax/insurance/lycra bickering aside, I would hate to think that I had injured ANYBODY whilst on the roads, but in short, if some of the less attentive riders cycle in an unethical manner, and god forbid ARE injured. then it wouldnt sweeten the incident just because they are cyclists, it would make it worse because it seems to be the order of the day to make out that cycling is the answer to conjestion, yet there are many people that could not possibly become a cyclist for hundreds of reasons, not just because they dont like cyclists.

Drove through Gilberdyke today. Nice wide roads, very flat and packed full of cyclists, all riding in a courteous manner. Some had the full lycra ensemble, but most were ordinary folk, giving way to pedestrians and constantly looking behind them with vigilance. It was like a scene from "Tales from the Darkside".

This is a far cry from the loonies that ride around Sheffield. Do Gilberdykers have a weekly edition of "Cyclecraft" delivered?

Its these nutters who sway in and out, wobble from left to right as they are stood up, doing 4mph up a steep hill (No hills in Gilberdyke) and generally not paying any attention to whats going on around them, that get my hackles up/give me high blood pressure/force a coronary/argue with cyclists blah blah blah......

Yep, there ARE wacky motorists which ive acknowledged many times, but being wacky on a pushbike is, well, pure lunacy.

Sheffield does not seem to be the friendliest of cycling areas, and maybe its time more cash was invested in better routes for you people to cycle on, as the way it is at the moment, Sheffield is a very busy place to be on the road, and less people driving and more cycling is probably not going to happen, especially with the vast amounts of hills you have to tackle getting from one side of town to the other.

I hope Adamf/cyclone/squiggles/onewheeldave/molly44 (who was the one who condoned going thru red lights, cyclone) and all the other cycling chums can see that where it may come across as anti-cycling, thats not the whole picture. All the tax/insurance/lycra bickering aside, I would hate to think that I had injured ANYBODY whilst on the roads, but in short, if some of the less attentive riders cycle in an unethical manner, and god forbid ARE injured. then it wouldnt sweeten the incident just because they are cyclists, it would make it worse because it seems to be the order of the day to make out that cycling is the answer to conjestion, yet there are many people that could not possibly become a cyclist for hundreds of reasons, not just because they dont like cyclists.

Cycling is only part of the answer to congestion. Raising the driving age to 21 will help as would a more reliable public transport system.

The cycle paths adjacent to Penistone Rd (not cycle lanes) are regularly criticised on SF as being poor,and not really fit for purpose for everyone but the lowest and most nervous of cyclists.

Neither or the roads for cars, but if car driver thought sod it the pavement looks in better nick I'll drive on there instead, thery'd be bother. If u've a designated area for cycling stick to it! Not pick and chose, if the cycle lane surface is that bad complain, like the car drivers do. Does my head how cyclist seem to think they're been environmental they're above the rules of the road, today had one sat in the left lane in front of me sat at traffic lights, lights change and he wobbles over to the right, no helmet, good and bad in all situations, but cyclist do seem to think they've a 20ft bubble around themselves.

Neither or the roads for cars, but if car driver thought sod it the pavement looks in better nick I'll drive on there instead, thery'd be bother. If u've a designated area for cycling stick to it! Not pick and chose

No, as a cyclist you can do exactly that, if the cycle path isn't fit for purpose then use the road, you have every right.

if the cycle lane surface is that bad complain, like the car drivers do. Does my head how cyclist seem to think they're been environmental they're above the rules of the road, today had one sat in the left lane in front of me sat at traffic lights, lights change and he wobbles over to the right, no helmet, good and bad in all situations, but cyclist do seem to think they've a 20ft bubble around themselves.

Most know exactly how vulnerable they are and just how dangerous a minority of poor car drivers are to them.