Is it normal to dodge missiles as a cyclist?

Last week, whilst cycling to work and back, i was verbally abused by a driver had a beer can thrown at me and on another occasion had half a brick brush past my elbow and hit the handlebars. is this normal for a commute?

Last week, whilst cycling to work and back, i was verbally abused by a driver had a beer can thrown at me and on another occasion had half a brick brush past my elbow and hit the handlebars. is this normal for a commute?

I think it all depends if you ride with skill and try not to hold up traffic by moving over to allow trapped vehicles to pass you.

I think it all depends if you ride with skill and try not to hold up traffic by moving over to allow trapped vehicles to pass you.

The beer can and half a brick had nothing to do with traffic.... it was kids, although i think this gives kids a bad name!.

The abusive driver was complaining that i wasn't riding in the gutter at 25 miles an hours and had to ride around a few pot holes (of which there are many in Sheffield). Bet he wouldn't have complain at someone riding a scooted where the left hand wheels of a vehicle travel.

no, there is only one winner in a car vs cyclist and thats the car everytime, best thing is to keep away from them as much as possible, if there is a cycle lane i always use it. ha mind you that dosent guarantee that cars keep away from you!

The beer can and half a brick had nothing to do with traffic.... it was kids, although i think this gives kids a bad name!.

The abusive driver was complaining that i wasn't riding in the gutter at 25 miles an hours and had to ride around a few pot holes (of which there are many in Sheffield). Bet he wouldn't have complain at someone riding a scooted where the left hand wheels of a vehicle travel.

That would seem to be a bit bad for you, and no, it dosent give kids a bad name. There are a lot of ferrel kids around Sheffield, and they think nothing of their actions. Once again, its the parents to blame. You should rename this thread "Im a cyclist but why should kids throw things at me".

Their behaviour was indeed, very wrong, and they should be brought to book. As for the abusive driver, that happens to everyone, no matter if you are cycling or driving. Funnily enough, a cyclist once called me a rude name and ive no idea why. I think its just the road rage that every one has once in a while.

Why did they have a half brick in the car?

And 2 words of advice for cyclists who want drivers to give them plenty of room:

Metal

Pedals

the brick wasnt thrown from a car........ and the driver had plenty of room as it was dual carriageway