Inconsiderate vets ??

Hi fishcake 1972. I had taken my pet to the vets that morning for possible treatment.The vet , who had seen my dog several times over the years, told me that there was not much he could do for himanymore, He couldn't even guarantee that my dog would be kept free from pain. My pet had, I think, had enough, his eyes told me that. Believe me, what I did that day, was for the best for my beloved dog, not for me. I had him for 16 years, he had a wonderful life.I was not going to allow his death to spoil that for him.

Isn't there some kind of board you can complain to?

Oh ye gods...... "Is that the RCVS Disciplinary Committee? I'd like to complain about a vet putting my dog in the boot of his car........"

Edited by irenewilde

Oh ye gods......

I live in Canada, I don't know what you have there. :roll: and I'm sure the vets that do this should be aware of what procedure to use. Like I said it might not be just the fact of putting OP dog in the trunk but how he did it.

I live in Canada, I don't know what you have there. :roll: and I'm sure the vets that do this should be aware of what procedure to use. Like I said it might not be just the fact of putting OP dog in the trunk but how he did it.

Yes, but the OP hasn't complained about *how* his dog was put in the boot, just that it was. And given that we've now established it was a large dog and a small car and what I've said about fluids, it's really hard to know what else the vet was supposed to do. I think the OP was just taken aback a bit at a very emotional time.

I very much doubt our vets have a procedure for which part of their car they should put animals in who they've just put to sleep.

Sorry for your loss. It could have been worse though. A few years back we rushed our gsd to the vet, out of hours. He was pretty much gone when we got there and died more or less as we put him on the table. After he had confirmed he died he asked to hold a plastic whilst he slid him off the table into the bag as no other staff were present.

That's wasn't an option so we carried him off the table into the bag. Gsds are big dogs and that makes removal of a body difficult.

Yes, but the OP hasn't complained about *how* his dog was put in the boot, just that it was. And given that we've now established it was a large dog and a small car and what I've said about fluids, it's really hard to know what else the vet was supposed to do. I think the OP was just taken aback a bit at a very emotional time.

I very much doubt our vets have a procedure for which part of their car they should put animals in who they've just put to sleep.

Irene did you read my first post about how my vet put our dog in a dog basket with a cushion in the bottom and covered her with a blanket even. I think fishcake wouldn't have been as upset if he was then put in the boot. When the pain of having their dog put down as eased a bit, things might not seem as bad.

I'm 68 years old and still to this day I picture Grandma's dog being slung in the trunk like a sack of potatoes, although I was a child at the time.

Just had my dog put to sleep today and for the amount of money i got charged i thought maybe a bit of tact wouldnt go amiss. We got charged £150 , which although may seem alot or not as the case may be, wasnt much compared to what we lost today. But the sheer fact that after the deed was done he was then put into the vets car BOOT! wtf!!! a bit of dignity maybe? all in all a very sad day:(

Sorry for your loss, fishcake, it's a horrible experience having to have a much-loved pet put to sleep.

Which vets was it?

Note to self, when upset do not come onto the "friendly" sheffield forum, and before the self righteous brigade turn up, yes i know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but sometimes i find the posts on here just plain rude and unfeeling, put your brain in gear before you start typing. The op is obviously upset by their loss, a little sensitivity wouldnt go amiss now would it??

fishcake1972, I am so sorry for your loss, please ignore the morons who have posted so cruelly on here. The reason that the vet put your pet in the boot will probably have been due to the fact that the normal reflexes that prevent body fluids from escaping have obviously been lost so therefore he will not have wanted urine/faeces/stomach contents from your pet to leak onto his car seat. You can arrange to have your pet cremated. There are several Pets Crematora around Sheffield who will treat you with respect if this is what you decide

Edited by tasha_78_1

fishcake1972 I am very sorry to hear about your dog, it is a horrible and very upsetting thing to have to go through and no one is ever truly ready for it.

Many years ago we had the vet out to put my Mums dog to sleep, and it was the same I'm afraid, they put her in a black bag there and then and put her into the car boot, but they were very gentle and considerate when they did it, I am so sorry that you had to see them being otherwise...I know that a kind vet can make times like this bearable or otherwise, so sorry to hear that your experience was hurtful x

Note to self, when upset do not come onto the "friendly" sheffield forum, and before the self righteous brigade turn up, yes i know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but sometimes i find the posts on here just plain rude and unfeeling, put your brain in gear before you start typing. The op is obviously upset by their loss, a little sensitivity wouldnt go amiss now would it??
well said ,i was just reading this and did think wow some people are being a bit harsh ,

My condolences for the loss of your dear dog. RIP and run free at the Rainbow Bridge