Inconsiderate vets ??

Just had my dog put to sleep today and for the amount of money i got charged i thought maybe a bit of tact wouldnt go amiss. We got charged £150 , which although may seem alot or not as the case may be, wasnt much compared to what we lost today. But the sheer fact that after the deed was done he was then put into the vets car BOOT! wtf!!! a bit of dignity maybe? all in all a very sad day:(

Just had my dog put to sleep today and for the amount of money i got charged i thought maybe a bit of tact wouldnt go amiss. We got charged £150 , which although may seem alot or not as the case may be, wasnt much compared to what we lost today. But the sheer fact that after the deed was done he was then put into the vets car BOOT! wtf!!! a bit of dignity maybe? all in all a very sad day:(

I really am very, very sorry to hear about your dog, I know how much it hurts to have a much loved pet put to sleep and I wouldn't belittle anyone's grief at this time but I'm not sure what else you thought the vet should do with your dog. If you chose to have the vet take him away instead of a) burying your pet yourself or b) taking him to a pet crematorium yourself then what did you expect? He's probably not going to put your dog on the back seat of his car is he? Even we put our little dog in the boot when we took her to the crematorium down in Doncaster. What do you think the vet should have done with your dog?

And we were charged a three figure sum for having our dog put to sleep and that was 10 years ago. Was it a home visit?

Edited by irenewilde

I am so very sorry to learn that you have lost your pet. I recently had to make that horrendous decisioin recently. My vet charged me £78. and was most considerate.

Allowing me time to say my goodbyes. I dont know what happened after I left the vets,

but wouldn't have expected them to dispose of him, until I had left the premises. I, like you, would have expected more compassion from a vet. You were well overcharged and treated badly, by someone who is supposed to be a caring person.

I would have buried him myself had I a garden, but I dont.

I am so very sorry to learn that you have lost your pet. I recently had to make that horrendous decisioin recently. My vet charged me £78. and was most considerate.

Allowing me time to say my goodbyes. I dont know what happened after I left the vets,

but wouldn't have expected them to dispose of him, until I had left the premises. I, like you, would have expected more compassion from a vet. You were well overcharged and treated badly, by someone who is supposed to be a caring person.

I would have buried him myself had I a garden, but I dont.

I'm guessing from what the OP says that the vet came to their home hence the cost. As I said, we were charged around £109 10 years ago. They were not overcharged and I ask you as I asked the OP - what do you think the vet should have done instead of putting the poor thing in his boot?

You don't have to have a garden to take care of your animal after it has died. You can take them to a pet crematorium yourself and have a little container with their ashes in if you wish.

Edited by irenewilde

Guest busdriver1

I had a cat put to sleep a couple of years ago at the Park Vets at Millhouses. They were absolutely superb I can not thank them enough for what they did that day. Their caring attitude made a very sad day bearable. I would strongly recommend them to anyone. I Had several options for his disposal and was with him to the end. They are the best example of how to do it right.

And the price was reasonable as well.

It's not something I have ever thought about, but I suppose that as a pet owner I'd put my deceased pet in a box, on to the back seat, in order to transport him for burial or cremation; and if the vet merely chucked it in the boot as if it were a piece of luggage I might well be upset.

Objectively, I don't think the vet has done anything wrong, but it's quite understandable that the OP would be upset and a people-friendly vet might have thought of that, and dealt with it differently. Assuming, of course, that a dead German Shepherd could even fit in his back seat, if he has a small car...