Inconsiderate vets ??

We used A Crookes and Partners at Hackenthorpe to have our chocolate lab put to sleep last April. The service was excellent. They came out to the car and helped us carry him into the room. They let us spend some time with him before they put him to sleep, I stayed with him while they did it and they let me spend some time with him after he had passed away. All the staff there treat him great and tried to keep him calm. They didn't ask for any money up front, they just let us go home and sent a bill a week or so later with a very nice letter saying sorry for your loss.

The cost was £150 and that included a private cremation. When the ashes arrived I couldn't believe the quality of the casket for the money we paid. We were expecting a bill of around £250-£300 for the service we received.

This is the company the vets used for the cremation. http://www.pcsonline.org.uk/

I totally understand where the OP is coming from, it's a time when we feel a lot of anger towards ourself and others and wished we could have done more. When I got home the day we had him put to sleep all I kept thinking was ''Why couldn't the vet just do something, just anything'' but deep down I knew nothing could stop the suffering. Now I'm glad he went peacefully when he did rather than leaving it to late. He had a great life with us from being 8 weeks old and I couldn't have ever seen him suffer.

Sorry for your loss, no words can describe what you're going through but it will get better with time.

Rest in peace little one.

I cant believe some of the crass, unfeeling and purely nasty comments on this thread. Have some people no feelings? A pet is a member of the family and as such, it is like losing a member of the family when they die. These people have obviously never had the pleasure of loving an animal and receiving love back from that animal.

I'm so glad they put it in the pet section, pet lovers are lovely people I find. Fishcake wouldn't have encountered the insensitive people if it hadn't mistakenly been put the wrong place. Notice there has been no unfeeling remarks while it's been in here.

I think some posts must have been removed. Fishcake I'm so sorry for your loss but I don't think the vet did anything wrong from what you've said... I'm not really sure where else they would be able to put your dog!

Consider for a moment that if he'd been put in the back seat, it would've taken a fair bit of pushing and pulling at limbs to get him out again. It's a lot easier to get them in and out of the boot with dignity than it is to get them in and out of the back seat via the passenger doors.

Animals will also lose body fluids after death so really it's kind of your vet to have put the dog in the car at all but I can understand that this isn't what you think about at the time.

For future reference to you, or anyone else in a similar position, when I had my boy pts, I got the vet out to the house but rather than letting the vet take him, I asked Sheffield Pet Crematorium (based at Moscar Kennels) to collect for a small extra cost on top of the private cremation we had. SPC were brilliant, they came to collect him, gently put him on a stretcher, tucked all his legs in and covered him over and then carried him out to their van. It was very dignified and they were very compassionate.

Edited by Lotti

Just to add... I went back to Sheffield Pet Crem about 18 months after they picked Eddy up from my house to take my little JRT to be cremated (I dropped him off rather than having him collected) and he remembered collecting Eddy which I thought was lovely and personal.

I am sad to say this but when you have a vet come out to your home this is the kind of charge you get ! you are paying for a personel service, my own mum had her beloved dog put to sleep in the same way and its was over 10 years ago , it did cost more than you have just paid . I am sorry for your loss .

This is the company the vets used for the cremation. http://www.pcsonline.org.uk/

We used PCS, they were great. Our little Cairn was put to sleep on a Sunday afternoon. First thing Monday morning my husband rang PCS who told us to come straight down with her. We handed her over, went and sat in their rose garden for a while. We were then given a wooden casket with her name engraved on a little brass plaque on the top and a certificate with her name on & that she was the beloved pet of myself. It had the date she was brought in and a little sentence offering their condolences to us. I couldn't fault the service they gave at such a horrible time.

I know some people have no alternative but I'd hate to hand my pet over to someone else at that time, I'm glad we saw it through with our little dog. I even remembered to clip a piece of fur from her before we took her down there.

Fishcake I'm so sorry for your loss, I was in exactly the same position as you three months ago (although our vet charged a lot more to come out to the house - this thread has made me think about whether it's vet change time). When you look back I think that you'll be happy that you paid the extra for the vet to come to your house so that your dog could fall asleep in a familiar environment. I know I am. My old lady used to hate going to the vets and I'm glad I could pay the extra so that she wouldn't have that final stress.

Hopefully what others have said will help reassure you that your vet using his car boot was probably the best option available to him, although I know it feels undignified at the time, as I saw this also with my girl