Inconsiderate vets ??

the cost is irrelavent because i could have taken him to the vets and paid around 70/80 pounds but i couldnt bring myself to do it, i wanted him to be in his home when he went.

That was very considerate and lovely of you. I think you made the right decision there. Reading your post further down where you say he was a big dog and the vet had a small car there probably wasn't much else he could do if you think about it. And - I know this doesn't sound very nice - but sometimes fluids come from their bodies after death (I'm sorry, I dont mean to upset you further) which might be another reason he did that. Maybe it just came as a bit of a shock to you because you were so upset.

the cost is irrelavent because i could have taken him to the vets and paid around 70/80 pounds but i couldnt bring myself to do it, i wanted him to be in his home when he went.

I understand you wanting him in his home, we did that with our dog, we both hugged her till she was gone. I feel if it's done in their home they'll not be as stressed, the vet even brought with her a little dog bed. After she laid her in it and covered her with a blanket, I thought that was very caring and respectful. When I was young my Grandma brought a vet in to have her old dog put to sleep, she sent me upstairs. After awhile I looked through the window, just at the same time the vet was putting him in his trunk. He had him in a sack and slung him in like a sack of potatoes. I bawled my eyes out, I was only around 11 but even at that age it seemed very callous. Isn't there some kind of board you can complain to? I think it's pure ignorance on their part, it's about time they used compassion some of these vets. It might be just a routine job to him, but they forget that pets are part our family.

Sorry for the loss of your dog fishcake.

Hi fishcake 1972. I had taken my pet to the vets that morning for possible treatment.The vet , who had seen my dog several times over the years, told me that there was not much he could do for himanymore, He couldn't even guarantee that my dog would be kept free from pain. My pet had, I think, had enough, his eyes told me that. Believe me, what I did that day, was for the best for my beloved dog, not for me. I had him for 16 years, he had a wonderful life.I was not going to allow his death to spoil that for him.

Oh ye gods......

I live in Canada, I don't know what you have there. :roll: and I'm sure the vets that do this should be aware of what procedure to use. Like I said it might not be just the fact of putting OP dog in the trunk but how he did it.

I live in Canada, I don't know what you have there. :roll: and I'm sure the vets that do this should be aware of what procedure to use. Like I said it might not be just the fact of putting OP dog in the trunk but how he did it.

Yes, but the OP hasn't complained about *how* his dog was put in the boot, just that it was. And given that we've now established it was a large dog and a small car and what I've said about fluids, it's really hard to know what else the vet was supposed to do. I think the OP was just taken aback a bit at a very emotional time.

I very much doubt our vets have a procedure for which part of their car they should put animals in who they've just put to sleep.

Sorry for your loss. It could have been worse though. A few years back we rushed our gsd to the vet, out of hours. He was pretty much gone when we got there and died more or less as we put him on the table. After he had confirmed he died he asked to hold a plastic whilst he slid him off the table into the bag as no other staff were present.

That's wasn't an option so we carried him off the table into the bag. Gsds are big dogs and that makes removal of a body difficult.

Yes, but the OP hasn't complained about *how* his dog was put in the boot, just that it was. And given that we've now established it was a large dog and a small car and what I've said about fluids, it's really hard to know what else the vet was supposed to do. I think the OP was just taken aback a bit at a very emotional time.

I very much doubt our vets have a procedure for which part of their car they should put animals in who they've just put to sleep.

Irene did you read my first post about how my vet put our dog in a dog basket with a cushion in the bottom and covered her with a blanket even. I think fishcake wouldn't have been as upset if he was then put in the boot. When the pain of having their dog put down as eased a bit, things might not seem as bad.

I'm 68 years old and still to this day I picture Grandma's dog being slung in the trunk like a sack of potatoes, although I was a child at the time.

Just had my dog put to sleep today and for the amount of money i got charged i thought maybe a bit of tact wouldnt go amiss. We got charged £150 , which although may seem alot or not as the case may be, wasnt much compared to what we lost today. But the sheer fact that after the deed was done he was then put into the vets car BOOT! wtf!!! a bit of dignity maybe? all in all a very sad day:(

Sorry for your loss, fishcake, it's a horrible experience having to have a much-loved pet put to sleep.

Which vets was it?

Note to self, when upset do not come onto the "friendly" sheffield forum, and before the self righteous brigade turn up, yes i know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but sometimes i find the posts on here just plain rude and unfeeling, put your brain in gear before you start typing. The op is obviously upset by their loss, a little sensitivity wouldnt go amiss now would it??