Taking photos in public

The police can be very two faced when it comes to cameras. Someone from sky et al under their direction can film no matter what. As soon as the guy they arrest says "get the camera out of my face " ( rightly in my view) they'll quote "it's a public place they can film what they like".

I suspect a different story if someone with a camera followed his wife round town on a Saturday afternoon.

I think you should be asked, even after the event.

Are you being serious? That's utterly bizarre behaviour on your part.

Your entitled to your opinion.

Bizarre is looking out of your window to see some wierdo with a telephoto lens pointed at you. I don't see my actions as being bizarre at all, his actions were the direct cause of mine, anyone not wanting to be chased down the street simply does not have to go pointing their camera where they have not been given permission to. Had he been polite and asked I would have let him, that's the point, he was arrogant enough to think it did not matter and could get away with it.

I think you are spot on Halibut. I have two children aged 2 and 6, if I saw somebody photographing my children whilst out in public, I would simply assume they like taking photographs and my children just made good subjects. I may ask why they were taking them and what they would do with them, but that would be out of interest and curiosity. Children make for some great photographs especially when they are unaware and not posing, when they are at play laughing and smiling, I would't object to somebody wanting to capture that, even a stranger.
Maybe the Photographers should get life's and have kids if they are interested in children ?

I know my kids are funny and have pictures of them, but that's because they are mine and in my care to do that. Just as I have the right to not have them modelling or whatever, I should have the right to tell someone that I do not wish their picture taken.

If they were in a public place and were not the focal point of the picture, and just part of the make up of the general public around them, then I would be happy to let it go, but I would want assurances that that was the case if I saw someone pointing their camera at them. This is not like someone who is in the media anyway or wanting some sort of publicity, you should be allowed the right to privacy in you private life.

He doesn't need permission. It isn't illegal to take photos of buildings*.

* Except in unique circumstances.

Your missing the point. If he is taking the picture of mine then yes he does.

He needs mine, I don't care what the laws handle is of it.