Taking photos in public

If they're not on private property, that is exactly what they can do..

which it isn't

So to 'protect' your property/kids.. from the dangers of a street photographer you'd go and attack somebody in public because you don't agree with their right to take pictures.. ok fine we get that much..

Said photographer, kicks your arse.. still has the pictures of whatever he was snapping, and phones the police because he's been attacked.

Police arrive, photographer explains to police he was actually taking photo's of the 'thing' 500 yards behind your kids with his zoom lens, explains you rocked up ranting, trying to steal his camera and you got violent. So he acted in self defence.

So after taking a beating, you get arrested for common assault, disturbing the peace, and attempted theft...

You're later found guilty of said charges in court.. and get sent down for 6 months... meanwhile social services have heard you're a violent person, and pay your family & kids a visit. Speaking to neighbours they hear you chased some other guy down the road in bare feet while ranting and screaming for taking pictures of a life sized lion you had in the front garden. Social Service take kids into care for their protection from a potentially violent father.

All this of course is being reported and family photographed by the press reporting the story... their pictures all over the paper and internet.

All while somebody's leaked CCTV footage (which helped in your prosecution) is on youtube showing you as coming on the hardman and getting your ass kicked..

But you stick to those principles... :hihi:

Point 1) they cannot if you read the photographers rights PDF, read it.

And 2) I don't care, I will run the gauntlet, if I get a kicking then I deserve it, the same risk the photographer runs. Easy answer is don't be sticking tele lenses at my house or children, saves all the hassle.

Ok, snappers have the right to take the picture of a lifesize lion (if you still have it of be interested in buying it :)) but in the background is hard2miss in pink Lycra or hard2miss banging the nanny or some such. Snip snap it's on Facebook or twitter or flicker or god forbid the star.

I can appreciate photography in its many forms but what about the right to privacy ?

If they're not on private property, that is exactly what they can do..

which it isn't

So to 'protect' your property/kids.. from the dangers of a street photographer you'd go and attack somebody in public because you don't agree with their right to take pictures.. ok fine we get that much..

Said photographer, kicks your arse.. still has the pictures of whatever he was snapping, and phones the police because he's been attacked.

Police arrive, photographer explains to police he was actually taking photo's of the 'thing' 500 yards behind your kids with his zoom lens, explains you rocked up ranting, trying to steal his camera and you got violent. So he acted in self defence.

So after taking a beating, you get arrested for common assault, disturbing the peace, and attempted theft...

You're later found guilty of said charges in court.. and get sent down for 6 months... meanwhile social services have heard you're a violent person, and pay your family & kids a visit. Speaking to neighbours they hear you chased some other guy down the road in bare feet while ranting and screaming for taking pictures of a life sized lion you had in the front garden. Social Service take kids into care for their protection from a potentially violent father.

All this of course is being reported and family photographed by the press reporting the story... their pictures all over the paper and internet.

All while somebody's leaked CCTV footage (which helped in your prosecution) is on youtube showing you as coming on the hardman and getting your ass kicked..

But you stick to those principles... :hihi:

You have a very vivid imagination. I would throw the camera if I were you and pick up a pen.

Ok, snappers have the right to take the picture of a lifesize lion (if you still have it of be interested in buying it :)) but in the background is hard2miss in pink Lycra or hard2miss banging the nanny or some such. Snip snap it's on Facebook or twitter or flicker or god forbid the star.

I can appreciate photography in its many forms but what about the right to privacy ?

Yes you do have a right to privacy, and if you're snapped in your own home and somebody publishes it you would have the right to recourse.

You have a life size fibreglass lion in your front garden and think that the nutter is the bloke you chased down the street for taking a photo of it?
Does it matter what it was ?

I looked out of the window and saw someone with a photo lens pointed at me, had he been sensible and knocked on the door he could have had his photo sat on the thing.

Yes you do have a right to privacy, and if you're snapped in your own home and somebody publishes it you would have the right to recourse.

I suppose that's right, it would be voyeurism wouldn't it ?

So out in public, with a mistress, you're fair game ?

how would it be mission accomplished? As I already mentioned you might simply get your ass handed back to you on a plate.. and photographer still has his/her pictures.. (along with any other consequences of your actions).

And.. I don't see anywhere in the photographers rights that substantiates your position, other than potentially the harassment rules or the reasonable expectation of privacy.. i.e using a long lens to capture you inside your own home.

He was stood on my front pointing a telephoto lens at the front of my house, where the windows are. If he could have shown me the photographs to prove he was not photographing inside of my house then that would have been different, but he decided that I did not have that right and to run instead.

He was not legally allowed to do what he was doing but that is irrelevant anyhow because I did not want him doing it.

So out in public, with a mistress, you're fair game ?

Not necessarily, as it describes in the photographers' rights article it depends on what is going to be done with the photograph. If it's published in a public medium, it can be argued that your privacy was invaded too.. even though both yourself (your totty) and the photog were in a public place. You'd have to prove this in court however.

Although it isn't the act of taking the picture that is the invasion, it's what is done with that picture afterwards.

Edited by Swampster