A4E and Emma Harrison- MEGATHREAD

Oh dear!

Maybe if he feels so strongly about this he should never have allowed A4e to use him in their advertising video and should request they remove the video from YouTube immediately? :suspect:

perhaps if people thought about the bigger picture before using you tube clips to make their posts more interesting and dimensional it would be better, Sheffield forum shouldnt allow these types of clips to be used in context with a post that bad mouths an individual or company

I was unemployed for nearly 8 months in total... from last summer til june this year (ish).

During this time (and 1 previous stint of unemployment) I have been through and experienced the whole system at the job centre. It is all useless, they are not there to help you find work but just to tick boxes.

In this time I had I think 1 dealing with A4E, which I could see right away was a complete waste of time, I dont know how much they get paid for a "back to work session" or what ever they like to call it, but it will be too much.

In the end I hit the 6 month mark at the job centre and got told about the all new flexible new deal for under 24s.

I was told by the end of new deal every 18 - 24 yr old would be either on a training course, in a gov funded job (futures job fund) or in work full time. And if you didnt make an effort to find work then they would make a slave out of you and make you work full time for free... I have friends right now working in poundland in town... a company which makes millions in profit, for free! They have no choice, or their life support machine (the benefit system) will cut their funding. The aim of this is to get them a job at poundland, but the truth is the bosses will just tell them after 4 weeks that they were not good enough, and get 3 or 4 more slave workers from the job centre.

Anyway back to my story... on my first day of new deal when i heard all the options and what would happen, i was told after 8 weeks if i didnt have a job then i would have to do a training program or something... so i said "well what are the programs?" and he gave me a list... the last one struck me.. "security training course".

It was a 6 week course and at the end of it you would sit an exam and get a real qualification which meant something, then if you got offered a security job the job centre would pay for your SIA badge...

Anyway i did the course and loved it, i had always wanted to become a security officer, so i didnt miss a second of it. There was only me and one other guy who attended every single day of the course. Most of the others just didnt wanna be there and to be honest i would not have hired any of them in the real world.

So yes... course over... That same day i was on the phones and the internet getting in touch with every security company i could find... one of them agreed to interview me... and 2 weeks after i sat the exam they had made an exception to their rules and offered me a position. The rule been they dont hire anyone without a SIA badge... most security companies have this rule now which is why for 95% of people on the course, its useless, no body will give them a chance, so they never get their badge paid for.

I then had to wait about a month longer for my results to come saying I passed the bloody exam... the results should have taken 2 weeks, but i cant blame the job centre for that, only edexcel.

The job centre promptly paid for my badge after speaking with the human resources manager at the company, and 4 weeks later i signed off and started working.

I am a static security guard and i totally hate the job... i hate it, so much. And i moan about it all the time, my shifts are 16 hours long. It is so hard to stay sane while on a cold horrible site for that long on your own, the lack of social interaction is quite painful. But the job does suit some people, it is perfect for immigrants who want to fund their education... it gives them time to study, and its perfect for people about to retire, who want a easy job getting paid to do what they do at home anyway! Topping up their savings at the same time.

I want to work in security as a retail security guard, that is my perfect job (for now).

Anyway my point is, the job centre are annoying, they are poorly run, but in the end they gave me the funding which enabled me to go out there myself and get that job offer. I am very greatful for that, and always will be.

A4E on the other hand, I am yet to hear anything positive about them... may i also add one of my friends from the security course is currently at REMPLOY on a "course"... they lied to employer G4S to get him a interview!!!! They told G4S the guy had a SIA badge... and that he could drive a car... both essential to the job, they are useless.

Encouraging people to lie to get interviews is pathetic, I have been totally upfront with my employer, they knew i couldnt drive but they made an exception for me, maybe they were desperate.. or maybe i impressed them, i dont know why but they did. If you lie, you will get found out eventually.

I haven't read all the posts, though I've read most of them - I have been on A4E courses 3 times - the first was three weeks, the second was 15 weeks, both of these courses were a waste of time, and sole distroying - swore blind i'd never go on another one, i was sent to that multi story building near Maltilda St. Nearly smacked someone - talking to one guy, and a lass came by and said " workshy" - I went half mad, notice the half. 6 months later I'm sent to A4E Queen street, Compleatly differrent, I'm not condoning A4e, I don't believe in it, but Craig in Queen street aint bad.

I'm the best part of 60 years old, I have COPD and Deprestion - I aint going to work again, surly they should put the money into getting the kid's jobs, Do you know what I mean, it seems a waste to me if the Gov. spent £10,000 on me getting a job and nowt on 16 - 18 year olds. What happened to the Training - Every government tries to save money, and the SKILL'S that this country was FAMOUS for has gone.

No fee's for UK. students. double the fees for those that don't live in this country. Why should we educate people from other countries at the same cost to Brittish Born.

Hi all, well I've been informed that someone has posted a rather upsetting and insulting comment about me on this forum. I have searched for this message and cannot find it, so I take it the sender has decided to remove this comment.

I would just like to add, that yes though I worked for A4e I did myself find it very stressful, not because of the company, but more due to the fact that some, not all, but some people would refuse any or every given opportunity, that would of helped them get back into the employment system, then with the skills and recorded Job history they in turn would have created another, more improved opportunity for themselves.

In my defence I can only apologise if I have offended anyone whilst I was a Trainer at A4e, as this was not my intention, however I myself found it very frustrating and most times very stressful, when people would rather spit in your face, throw chairs at you and continuously slag you off and make threatening, violent gestures and comments.

Whatever this message was I can only say that when someone finds it justifiable to slander another person on a public forum, for what ever reason they feel they may have, I can only feel sorry for that individual and if I caused any upset or problems for this person I can only apologise.

I would like to thank those who have defended me on this comment and I think it best that it be dropped now, as I feel carrying on or fuelling this is really unnecessary and silly.

Finally I would be the first to admit that I am not and never will be a perfect person and that I do have many faults of my own, but I'd rather learn about my personality and if needed I would change any character defects I find. I find this very rewarding and spiritually lifting. After all my own personal struggles in life I have come to the understanding that it is not how the world acts or treats you, it is how you respond to that act.

Please put a close to this matter and focus on more important issues

God bless you all :)

Nowt wrong with Bodhran, above, were all trying to make a living, Please don't attack the person, they are only following company pollicy.

Believe me I could attack the person, but I't aint Right.

By the person I mean *Government"

Edited by aardvark6535

Anyone seen this? I did a search but found nothing.

Oh dear:|

Biggest benefit scam of all time?

Edited by anywebsite

Harrison, as well as being displeasing on the eye did the last government a massive favour by keeping the unemployment figures down via her 6 month programs to "help" people find work (that isnt there), the coalition obviously latched onto this (as they are all pretty much the same ilk) and continued to throw money at her for massaging statistics (they love that sort of thing).

Lets hope this blows up big time and these places are closed down.

A4E are also heavily involved in the recently discredited Workfare scheme which forces dolescum to work for free for companies like Tesco and Greggs.

Consecutive governments seem in thrall to this woman and her company.

Obviously if they have failed in reaching their targets they should lose the contract and be forced to pay some money back. Any decent tendering process should have included penalties for failure.

Mind you, Government has never been particularly good at procurement.