Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

No it isn't.

Yes. It really is a lie. Just a figure that sounds good and clear. It is not reality.

Yes. It really is a lie. Just a figure that sounds good and clear. It is not reality.

What is the "real" figure then?

What I've never understood is a person who says.... "you have more than me. I'm going to protest!"

Why doesn't that person then work hard and try to attain the level of success that they see in others?

Or is it just idle (idol?) jealousy?

That's just an outright lie. Your credibility is in tatters, shreds, rags.

That reads like it's bullying really.

I don't know the real figure. And I'd love to see the source material used by the protesters in coming to it. I'd guess that they've just blindly accepted it as truth too.

In reality the proportion of people who are rich varies dramatically from nation to nation. No one has figures on this. The 1% - 99% thing is just made up to sound shocking and make everyone believe they are part of some down-trodden majority.

Well it was 40% according to a UN report in 2006, which 'relied on incomplete data'.

I've looked at the occupy website and one thing saddens me than most. You have a global network spanning many countries. Some areas seem (Boston and new York in particular but others might be similar) you have committees organising things, well educated people in your ranks (lawyers etc) your finger on the pulse and more free publicity than you know what to do with. Most charities would kill for half of that. What are you doing with it all ? Sitting outside tents.

Start a bank/credit union or something. A charity to help the homeless. If you aren't going to give any answers to critics long list of questions, use all the above and try change from within. Make the system work for you and then change it.

Otherwise, what's the point ? Occupy have already said the banks run the show so public opinion isn't going to matter a jot to them and if they do have governments in their pocket voting won't change things either.

Take away a few million customers......

I don't know the real figure. And I'd love to see the source material used by the protesters in coming to it. I'd guess that they've just blindly accepted it as truth too.

So the 99% v 1% could be correct then, as far as you know?

I've looked at the occupy website and one thing saddens me than most. You have a global network spanning many countries. Some areas seem (Boston and new York in particular but others might be similar) you have committees organising things, well educated people in your ranks (lawyers etc) your finger on the pulse and more free publicity than you know what to do with. Most charities would kill for half of that. What are you doing with it all ? Sitting outside tents.

Start a bank/credit union or something. A charity to help the homeless. If you aren't going to give any answers to critics long list of questions, use all the above and try change from within. Make the system work for you and then change it.

Otherwise, what's the point ? Occupy have already said the banks run the show so public opinion isn't going to matter a jot to them and if they do have governments in their pocket voting won't change things either.

Take away a few million customers......

Excellent suggestion.

(But I'd be a bit reluctant to entrust what money I earn to people who have real problems understanding the calculation of percentages.)

What I've never understood is a person who says.... "you have more than me. I'm going to protest!"

Why doesn't that person then work hard and try to attain the level of success that they see in others?

Or is it just idle (idol?) jealousy?

It's an interesting point.

Do the protesters not realise that compared to the starving millions in Africa, they are rich beyond their wildest dreams? Why aren't they protesting about the fact that they have too many riches themselves?