Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

1% do NOT own 99% of the world's resources. That figure was referring to the United States, not the whole world. The world is made up of over 196 countries with different levels of wealth distribution and freedoms and cultures. It is not even true about the USA, however it is true to say that the wealthiest 1% of Americans pay the majority of all the tax. There is no conspiracy of rich people all working to keep wealth away from the majority. There is just a society of people working and trying to succeed and create and innovate, and then there's the protesters who just sit around complaining that someone else is making their life hard. Pack up the tents, start a business or get a job.

:hihi::hihi: Wanna BetFred?

- Your post makes you sound like quite an authority on the matter. :hihi::hihi:

Edited by Darth Vader

1% do NOT own 99% of the world's resources. That figure was referring to the United States, not the whole world. The world is made up of over 196 countries with different levels of wealth distribution and freedoms and cultures. It is not even true about the USA, however it is true to say that the wealthiest 1% of Americans pay the majority of all the tax. There is no conspiracy of rich people all working to keep wealth away from the majority. There is just a society of people working and trying to succeed and create and innovate, and then there's the protesters who just sit around complaining that someone else is making their life hard. Pack up the tents, start a business or get a job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8417205.stm

So the poorest 50 % pay just over 10% of the tax revenue. The top 1% pay nearly a quarter of it and the top 10% of earners pay over half. Yet I have a feeling this post will get ignored and people will bang on about how the rich don't contribute enough.

Edited by Supertramp

It is not even true about the USA, however it is true to say that the wealthiest 1% of Americans pay the majority of all the tax. There is no conspiracy of rich people all working to keep wealth away from the majority.

There are world renowned economists who disagree with you. When I see your Nobel Prize I might take time to reconsider. Until then, Joseph Stiglitz wins.

1% owns 99% of the worlds land and resources. If that doesn't bother you then go back to watching X Factor... it's all good. You are free to do what they tell you to do!

You are not addressing the point made (repeatedly) about the fact that you are ignoring the vast differences within the 99%.

You are, however, doing a very fine job of confirming my suspicion that you are unable to engage in debate.

Not everyone who dares to question your righteousness is automatically a disengaged drone. Your mindless repetition of a slogan designed to alienate people who just might have some track record in attempting to address injustice does not help your movement. And if it really does boost your sense of superiority, I'd say you were part of the problem and not of any solution.

So the poorest 50 % pay just over 10% of the tax revenue.

That isn't what the article says. It is discussing the spread of tax paid via income tax, and not the total tax revenue. There are other forms of taxation.

That isn't what the article says. It is discussing the spread of tax paid via income tax, and not the total tax revenue. There are other forms of taxation.

Sorry I missed a word, 'income'.

So which other taxes do the poor pay more of then the rich?

I wouldn't agree with the word 'more'. The poor don't have 'more', and thus they don't pay it. The questions run deeper than just simply paying more tax.

We have some big points in society about wealth distribution, the power of corporations in the global market, public subsidy on failing financial sectors, debt restructuring, fiscal austerity. They are huge points, and asking questions of them does society no harm at all.

It doesn't really bother me but if it did, I would have the democratic choice of voting out the party who was doing this at the next election.

Well, this is the thing

People have tried that. There was a massive turn against the Conservatives when Labour moved towards a "third way" stance and became more inviting to sections who may have been uneasy voting for a "red flag" with a militant tendancy

People have seen that whether Conservatives or New Labour are in power, the markets which influence politics far more than any ideologies of the parties and the individual MPs (whether they enter parliament with the intention of fiddling as much as they can on their expenses or with the intention of doing what they think is right for their constituents)

Some turned towards an alternative party that had been a standing joke throughout the "Spitting Image" years in an attempt to investigate an alternative

So to many it seems that the idea of " I would have the democratic choice of voting out the party who was doing this at the next election." is a fallacy as when the surface is scratched there is little difference - and it seems to be not through the simplistic view of "all politicians are liars" - though some have done plenty to reinforce that view - but rather that the tiny minority (which is where the 1% / 99% bit comes from) hold such influence over policy making, by having the power to "take their ball and play elsewhere" if the government upset them

Sorry I missed a word, 'income'.

More, if defined in terms of proportion of income: VAT