Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

"We were expecting positive votes but the overwhelming majorities have been more encouraging than we expected," says Helena Jenkins, a parishioner of St Luke's church in Sevenoaks, Kent.

"I like to think it's the Holy Spirit moving, because I just feel so strongly that this is the right way for the Church to go," says Ms Jenkins, a member of the campaign group Women and the Church.

"And I think even some people who have difficulty with the idea of women in ministry have been listening perhaps more than they were."

The measure needs the approval of half the synods of the Church's 44 dioceses before it returns to the General Synod, which could take a final vote on the measure next July...

some more untrue information for you then.

The Church of England authorized the ordination of woman priests in 1992 and began ordaining them in 1994. The experience of the first women priests and their congregations was the premise of the television programme The Vicar of Dibley.[5] The legality of the ordination of women in the Church of England was challenged in civil courts by Paul Williamson and others....

i see that there is not dean whos a woman. the !! haha talk about being a holier than thoy attitude , bunch of Hippocrates..

so whats the difference between the church not upholding the value of womens rights, and the os mob who are defacing the courtyard?

The difference is this is a thread about occupy sheffield. If you want to start a debate about women's rights in the church then start another thread.

Incidentally, I know a few women vicars who wouldn't say their rights have been devalued!!

it seems sheffield has a BIG PROBLEM with women in the church....... The diocesan synods have mostly backed that view - but two (Sheffield and Manchester) have passed a "following motion" calling for the stand-in bishops to have independent authority...

i am trying to highlight the past decisions of the cathedral, that surly has some significance and current attitude on the oc situation?

"We were expecting positive votes but the overwhelming majorities have been more encouraging than we expected," says Helena Jenkins, a parishioner of St Luke's church in Sevenoaks, Kent.

"I like to think it's the Holy Spirit moving, because I just feel so strongly that this is the right way for the Church to go," says Ms Jenkins, a member of the campaign group Women and the Church.

"And I think even some people who have difficulty with the idea of women in ministry have been listening perhaps more than they were."

The measure needs the approval of half the synods of the Church's 44 dioceses before it returns to the General Synod, which could take a final vote on the measure next July...

some more untrue information for you then.

So hang on. You're justifying a post saying women are undemocratically denied a voice in the church by quoting a post about how the church is currently going through a democratic church process in order to ordain women bishops which is being overwhelmingly supported by it's flock?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14914289

Perhaps not the best way to promote your assertion that the church is a totalitarian dictatorship. The blinkin' article is about a democratic process.

And who are the cathedrals who are strongestly supporting the full ordination of women? Manchester and SHEFFIELD!!

Thank you for giving me a bloody good laugh this morning.

that surly has some significance and current attitude on the oc situation?

Nope, not in the least.

Let's stay on topic please.

dont you think after 2000 years they would have it sorted?

So hang on. You're justifying a post saying women are undemocratically denied a voice in the church by quoting a post about how the church is currently going through a democratic church process in order to ordain women bishops which is being overwhelmingly supported by it's flock?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14914289

Perhaps not the best way to promote your assertion that the church is a totalitarian dictatorship. The blinkin' article is about a democratic process.

And who are the cathedrals who are strongestly supporting the full ordination of women? Manchester and SHEFFIELD!!

Thank you for giving me a bloody good laugh this morning.

would you like another one....What do you call a deeply burnt food item in your lunch that is not recogonizable?

UFO: Unidentified Fried Object.

it seems sheffield has a BIG PROBLEM with women in the church....... The diocesan synods have mostly backed that view - but two (Sheffield and Manchester) have passed a "following motion" calling for the stand-in bishops to have independent authority...

i am trying to highlight the past decisions of the cathedral, that surly has some significance and current attitude on the oc situation?

Reading beteeen the lines in this thread can be enlightening.

Anyhow monkey, back on topic...