Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

So the 99% v 1% could be correct then, as far as you know?

No, see my post with links to reports by economists.

But if the protesters' credit union was successful, it wouldn't be long before the bosses of their credit union were paying themselves huge bonuses. It's human nature that as soon as you become obsessed wth having money, you want to take as much as you can for yourself. Have you never read "Animal Farm"?

You mean that book written by the famous capitalist sympathiser as an example of why capitalism is great? Not.

It seems you haven't quite grasped the whole point of Orwell's message

It also seems you misunderstand the nature of Credit Unions. You would have a point if your response was to the suggestion of setting up a new BANK which is a different animal.

Edited by Squiggs

It's not a lie, in that it is true. Statistics can be easily to bent to represent many points. It's arbitrary.

The Top 1% of America's population do own 42% of the wealth. The next 4% own 27%. It is the difference between being a millionaire, being a multi-millionaire, being a billionaire, and being a multi-billionaire. Depending on which range of wealth you wish to concentrate on, you can make a statistic say very different things.

For example, we take the 1% cut of people who are multi-billionaires. "We are the 99%" is true that a 1% does exist, and we are not it. It's also worthy to note that not all the banking sector is in this elite club, and a man working in The City could be earning below the threshold. He is in the 99% also.

This is quite interesting. Why I’m confused about #wearethe99

The problems here are the downside of sloganeering.

So it is a lie, 1% don't hold 99% of the wealth. they hold 42% of it in America, 39% across the world.

How is that true then?

"Can you describe what you feel IS going on right now in this country? " Jez, are you serious squire ? Suggest you seriously wake up and smell the coffee before its to late !

Yet, we had access to round the clock live news feeds from a variety of news channels from these oppressive regimes, but we don't seem to have any news coverage of what's going on in the land of the free.

A comparison with EDL now! :hihi:Make your minds up you lot! Are these evil lefty protestors, or are they far right, like the EDL?

You've got it, some of these protestors are middle-class. And middle-class people are suffering. They are living on food parcels and losing their homes whilst the ftse 100 SEO's enjoy an annual payrise of 49%. That is why this protest is different.

Yes because hundreds of thousands of people fighting against a brutal regime which was happy to kill its own people is as newsworthy as a few people in a tent, ****** off that they cant afford hummus.

"Can you describe what you feel IS going on right now in this country? " Jez, are you serious squire ? Suggest you seriously wake up and smell the coffee before its to late !

Who is Jez, and why didn't you answer the question?

So it is a lie, 1% don't hold 99% of the wealth.

I'll rephrase my point. :)

When "We are the 99%" was coined as a slogan, it was not a lie. There is always a 1% of any population. The wealth of the Top 1% of the Global Population, and how that figures as a statistic, is unknown to me.

OK. make me wake up. Instead of using phrases like "smell the coffee" etc, tell us what you think IS going on. If it's so obvious it should be easy to describe. So describe it.

I don't know, it's forcing dialogue, ruffling feathers, and raising awareness, isn't it?

I can see the news at 10 now.

DONG ! "occupy movement confirm that life isn't fair"

DONG ! "vicars as result are inconvenienced "

DONG ! "shares in millets double "

Everytime I fill up with fuel I know life isn't fair. Anyone who doesnt realise life isn't fair shouldn't be allowed out.

I'll rephrase my point. :)

When "We are the 99%" was coined as a slogan, it was not a lie. There is always a 1% of any population. The wealth of the Top 1% of the Global Population, and how that figures as a statistic, is unknown to me.

Ok, but that poster said 1% control 99% of the wealth, someone said that'sa lie - you said it's not. I backed it up with evidence that it is in fact a lie. So I win!! :banana:

I'm in town tonight and might pop by the cathedral just to see how many of the protesters are going home to their nice comfy beds at night. If it's anything like the St Paul's one in London, only 1 tent in 10 will be occupied so hopefully it should be quiet!