Can I be sacked for not working overtime?

And 48 hours maximum in a week, with certain exceptions.

Isn't that an average over so may weeks?

Youu need to look carefully at your contract and read the small print. I was in a similar situation and my contract actually said Monday to Friday so they couldnt make me work weekends

This is correct! Check your contract of employment. It will say if they can compel you to work Saturdays or not. The dubious point for you if the contract says something like your hours of work are 40 per week Monday to Friday or hours as required to perform the duties of your position .

In terms of hours worked, it reads to me that you currently work 52 hours per week. Have you signed an opt out from the EWTD?

Working Time Directive (European Legislation)

48 hrs a week unless you sign an opt out

Ring Acas: 08457 474747

They can tell you what your legal rights are. They have longer opening hours too now.

If you are in a union they offer free legal advice telephone lines usually too and the benefit of them is that they can be completely on your side.

'Reasonable requests' covers changes such as extra days trading - it does when they offer you an alternative day off anyways...

No it doesn't. If your contract states Mon-Fri x hours, then it's entirely unreasonable to demand that someone start working regularly at the weekend.

If hange most the Company discuss this change with you over a reasonable time period they can more or less change any aspect of your terms & conditions. They will normally cite that it is a neccesary buisness need (TO SUIT THE NEEDS OF THE BUISNESS).

I am afraid you will not be able to stay as you are if the needs are to operate Saturdays.

A contract can't be changed without agreement from both parties.

A company could choose to make you redundant if you won't accept the new terms, but they can't just impose a change on you.

A contract can't be changed without agreement from both parties.

A company could choose to make you redundant if you won't accept the new terms, but they can't just impose a change on you.

if the new terms breach the working time directive or are unreasonable then if the sack you based on these then you can sue for unfair dismissal

You can't be sacked for refusing a change in terms and conditions.

You could be made redundant, but as you say if the new T&C's were unreasonable or illegal then it wouldn't be a legal redundancy.

You can't be sacked for refusing a change in terms and conditions.

You could be made redundant, but as you say if the new T&C's were unreasonable or illegal then it wouldn't be a legal redundancy.

Yes you can if the company can justify the reasons for changing them (eg economic reasons). If the changes make you "substantially" worse off then they can offer redundancy. Generally they will terminate your contract and then re-employ under the new conditions, eg British Airways.

Do you have a link, I'd like to see a case where changes were imposed with a threat of termination (as opposed to redundancy) for whatever reason.

You make it sound as if contracts can be terminated at will, they can't employment law stops that, and that includes for reasons of wanting to change the contract. (Unless of course they are rolling contracts, <1 year in post, etc...)