Can I be sacked for not working overtime?

hi can i be sacked for not working overtime i work mon/frid plus 2 and a half hours overtime every day so thats 40 hours and 12 hours overtime every week been doing this for the last 7 years but now they want me to work a saturday aswell every week but i have no childcare so i cant so the qustion is can they fire me

no thay cant sack you im sure that by law you have have a right to leave 12 hours between shifts. if you have a contract and for instance your contract states you work for 12 hours you can even drop down to that if you want and they cant do anything its best if you join a union if they have one. but like theop said if they want you out they will do.but dont be bullied into overtime you dont have to do it UNLESS it states in your contract

Is it overtime, or are they opening on saturdays now and expect the staff to do saturdays now as part of working week? Noone can force overtime, and if overtime is offered, they'll be the usual suspects who always want the overtime as they are saving the cash or need the money... If it's that they are adding a day, then surely they will let you take a mid week day off?

To be sure i would check your contract, some people who work with me have it in their contract that they can be asked to work saturdays, others dont, therefore management can only "force" a few people to work saturdays but as it is in their contract they cant say no, although they do get paid for it or time off...

Is it overtime, or are they opening on saturdays now and expect the staff to do saturdays now as part of working week? Noone can force overtime, and if overtime is offered, they'll be the usual suspects who always want the overtime as they are saving the cash or need the money... If it's that they are adding a day, then surely they will let you take a mid week day off?

yes they are starting to open on a saturday and it will be overtime and they have said we must all do it no getting out of it

if you don't want to do overtime they can't force you! you only have to do your contracted hours. however, they can make you work saturdays but they have to give you some time off in the week. you have to work your contracted hours, no more if you don't want to but they can say when!

yes they are starting to open on a saturday and it will be overtime and they have said we must all do it no getting out of it

So they are now opening saturday, and all staff have to work - this isn't overtime then, it's a additional day and it looks as though you will be having a day off in the week now instead... Just work round it til you find a job that doesn't include weekends, seems like only option?