Can I be sacked for not working overtime?

Get proper advice from a reputable source, most of what people are telling you on here is rubbish.

Too true. Before he posted on here AJ SHeffield posted on another thread "if I'm wrong then please excuse me as I have been drinking."

Your company could dismiss you but you could sue for unfair dismissal. Why can't your company take on weekend staff? Anyway, join a union and get advice. There are union ofices round Union Street, opposite Howden House.

If hange most the Company discuss this change with you over a reasonable time period they can more or less change any aspect of your terms & conditions. They will normally cite that it is a neccesary buisness need (TO SUIT THE NEEDS OF THE BUISNESS).

I am afraid you will not be able to stay as you are if the needs are to operate Saturdays.

hi can i be sacked for not working overtime i work mon/frid plus 2 and a half hours overtime every day so thats 40 hours and 12 hours overtime every week been doing this for the last 7 years but now they want me to work a saturday aswell every week but i have no childcare so i cant so the qustion is can they fire me

Employers can do what they want if they want you out.

Its just a matter of time.

They could for example acuse you of store discount card fraud and if that dont work they could reduce your hours to an unlivable amount

Or they could start treating you like dog dirt until you go

Or they could employ someone totaly unsuited for the job, give them lots of your hours and then insist you train the newbie and when the newbie proves to be crap they blame you

Oh and they may even give you at least double the workload in less than half the hours and then bitch when you arent meeting targets.

So in summary, yeah they can do what the hell they like.

Youu need to look carefully at your contract and read the small print. I was in a similar situation and my contract actually said Monday to Friday so they couldnt make me work weekends

This is correct! Check your contract of employment. It will say if they can compel you to work Saturdays or not. The dubious point for you if the contract says something like your hours of work are 40 per week Monday to Friday or hours as required to perform the duties of your position .

In terms of hours worked, it reads to me that you currently work 52 hours per week. Have you signed an opt out from the EWTD?

• 1 month later...

Ring Acas: 08457 474747

They can tell you what your legal rights are. They have longer opening hours too now.

If you are in a union they offer free legal advice telephone lines usually too and the benefit of them is that they can be completely on your side.