Alcohol overuse

So we're told that the medical recommendation is 2/3 units per day - do you seriously know anyone who always just has one glass of vino? most of us will manage 2/3/4 (especially today lol). But you don't get advice about just drinking at weekends - presumably binge drinking... and then abstaining during the week (as i choose to...)..

i dont agree with binge drinking and i think the medical recommendation all depends on your health and body weight. each person should judge what they think is ok for them.

i rarely drink but if i do have some wine then i might have a 1 or 2 glasses. i know when to stop and i dont think you need to drink to have a good time so why would you binge drink? you should drink because you like the taste of the drink you are drinking and not to get wasted.

So we're told that the medical recommendation is 2/3 units per day - do you seriously know anyone who always just has one glass of vino? most of us will manage 2/3/4 (especially today lol). But you don't get advice about just drinking at weekends - presumably binge drinking... and then abstaining during the week (as i choose to...)..

I don't think 2/3 units per day is recommended. It is recommended that if you do drink you don't drink more than 2/3 units.

You need to take advice with a dose of common sense. If you're regularly having 20 units at the weekend it's probably not doing you much good, but if you do do every now and then it's probably not doing you much harm.

You do get advice about drinking at weekends and abstaining in the week - it's covered by the advice not to drink more than 2 or 3 units per day. It sounds like you want to be advised that it's fine to drink your weekly 'allowance' in one night, but sadly that's not how medical advice works!

i dont agree with binge drinking and i think the medical recommendation all depends on your health and body weight. each person should judge what they think is ok for them.

i rarely drink but if i do have some wine then i might have a 1 or 2 glasses. i know when to stop and i dont think you need to drink to have a good time so why would you binge drink? you should drink because you like the taste of the drink you are drinking and not to get wasted.

I like to dring because I like the taste, but I also like to get drunk too! I like to exist in an altered state of mind from time to time. It gives me a better grip on reality & Opens the creative side of my mind! :love:

The recommended weekly limits are completely made up in any case. Responsible adults are quite capable of deciding for themselves how much they wish to drink.

The recommended weekly limits are completely made up in any case. Responsible adults are quite capable of deciding for themselves how much they wish to drink.

So long as they crush and bag up their plastic cider bottles I've no problem with that.

ok, so you're 6'5" and 17stone, and the recommendation is one pint of medium strength lager per day? The advice is woefully inadequate, almost to the point that it becomes meaningless... and people ignore it.

For me, i like to drink to relax after a week at work, but not on a school night, as i prefer to wake up fresh for work. But if i have 5 pints on a Friday night, and another 5 pints on Saturday, and nothing else... how much harm am i doing to myself?

ok, so you're 6'5" and 17stone, and the recommendation is one pint of medium strength lager per day? The advice is woefully inadequate, almost to the point that it becomes meaningless... and people ignore it.

For me, i like to drink to relax after a week at work, but not on a school night, as i prefer to wake up fresh for work. But if i have 5 pints on a Friday night, and another 5 pints on Saturday, and nothing else... how much harm am i doing to myself?

Put it this way, you're definitely going to die.

Put it this way, you're definitely going to die.

True, can't argue with that !!!

If you look into the issue though, it turns out that the recommendations are not based on any real medical or scientific analysis, they were just numbers made up by a health minister some 10 or 20 years ago.

The same for the (constantly changing) advice on whether you can safely drink a small glass of wine whilst pregnant (until recently 1 small glass twice a week was okay), now only abstinence is recommended, despite there being no evidence that low consumption causes any harm.

I do think cheap booze in supermarkets doesnt help, but we all want a bargain dont we ?

I like to exist in an altered state of mind from time to time. It gives me a better grip on reality & Opens the creative side of my mind! :love:

It does not do either of those things, though it's very good at deluding people into thinking it does.