Alcohol overuse

The number of deaths directly attributable to LSD intoxication is absolutely miniscule at the side of the vast numbers of people who kill themselves accidentally or otherwise whilst drunk.

Given that the number of people who take LSD is minuscule compared to the vast numbers of people who take alcohol, that is both an obvious and a worthless observation.

Given that the number of people who take LSD is minuscule compared to the vast numbers of people who take alcohol, that is both an obvious and a worthless observation.

Obvious perhaps and about as worthless as your own remark based on no real evidence beyond urban myth that ''LSD is much more likely to cause immediate death than is drunkenness''.

Drinking approximately half of your weekly allowance i.e. 14 units for men and 10.5 units for women, has been shown to lead to the lowest overall mortality rates. LOWER than those who drink none at all, and those that drink heavily.

It's all a balance between the benefits that alcohol consumption give you in reducing the levels of "bad" cholesterol (and therefore coronary heart disease, one of the UK's biggest killers), and the risks of liver disease through excesssive use. With higher intake the benefits are lost or outweighed by the increasing risk of liver disease. Few people realise that those who drink steadily through the week in low levels (1-2 units a day) appear to live longer than abstainees.

The practice of "binge drinking" loses the daily benefit of lowered cholesterol levels.

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/hliving/alcmort.html

In fact, related to that evidence based medicine website are 10 tips for healthy living - an interesting read.

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/painres/download/10steps.pdf

Drink up! (But in moderation) :)

I like to dring because I like the taste, but I also like to get drunk too! I like to exist in an altered state of mind from time to time. It gives me a better grip on reality & Opens the creative side of my mind! :love:

It does not do either of those things, though it's very good at deluding people into thinking it does.

HN, are suggesting that some people can't become creative with alcohol? :huh:

Do you own a CD collection?

thats why i have at least 10 open bottles of spirts :(

i think oh i really fancy a .......baileys so i buy a bottle have one then it sits there untouched, same with brandy,rum,tia maria etc really with they would do really small maybe single serving bottles (never see them tiny air line type ones any more)

I think you can still get miniatures at the tobacco kiosk in Sainsbury's on The Moor. I suppose they don't put them in with the normal size alcohol, because they must be so easy to steal!

I think you'll find that a rather large number of people who fall from buildings or other large structures - bridges, cliffs and so on are drunk. The number of deaths directly attributable to LSD intoxication is absolutely miniscule at the side of the vast numbers of people who kill themselves accidentally or otherwise whilst drunk.

What a pathetic comparison. How much of the population get drunk compared to those taking LSD?

My guess (it would have to be a guess as we don't know how many druggies are out there), is that like-for-like, there are a shed load more LSD deaths than drunken deaths.

So if you drink only on a Friday night and you drink 14 pints every Friday night you'll be statistically far more likely to have liver damage than someone who drinks 2 pints every day.

I don"t know how true that is ,if you drink 2 or 3 pints a night your not giving your liver the chance to detox .I don't agree with a 14 pint binge but getting drunk every friday and then having a 6 day fast as surely got to be better for you

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

What a pathetic comparison. How much of the population get drunk compared to those taking LSD?

My guess (it would have to be a guess as we don't know how many druggies are out there), is that like-for-like, there are a shed load more LSD deaths than drunken deaths.

Deaths in 1995 according to the Office of National Statistics -

alcohol 4,235

LSD 0

Drinking approximately half of your weekly allowance i.e. 14 units for men and 10.5 units for women, has been shown to lead to the lowest overall mortality rates. LOWER than those who drink none at all, and those that drink heavily.

It's all a balance between the benefits that alcohol consumption give you in reducing the levels of "bad" cholesterol (and therefore coronary heart disease, one of the UK's biggest killers), and the risks of liver disease through excesssive use. With higher intake the benefits are lost or outweighed by the increasing risk of liver disease. Few people realise that those who drink steadily through the week in low levels (1-2 units a day) appear to live longer than abstainees.

The practice of "binge drinking" loses the daily benefit of lowered cholesterol levels.

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/hliving/alcmort.html

In fact, related to that evidence based medicine website are 10 tips for healthy living - an interesting read.

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/painres/download/10steps.pdf

Drink up! (But in moderation) :)

Although it could be that those who drink a glass of red wine with dinner come from a different demographic to those who drink 8 pints of stella on saturday night, rather than any inherent medical difference.